Forums > Jitter

recording movies for quality

June 1, 2008 | 4:32 pm

Hello all.

I am currently working on a project where I need to record several thousand filmclips via jitter into a database. They need to be recorded with sound. The clips are of people speaking(sitting still) and will be recorded using a new ibook. So far I am unhappy with the quality I have been achieving on the recorded clips.

The question is simple: What is the best procedure for recording films from a Hd camera via firewire with Jitter. The only criteria is to get the highest possible quality. The sound comes from msp could be recorded as a seperate file joined with the quicktime file, whatever facilitates the highest quality. Tips regarding codecs, camera settings or other relevant info would be much appreciated.

So far I have been using jit.qt.grab in combination with jit.vcr, also tried grabbing directly to disk from jit.qt.grab but did not see any increase in performance.

Any tips appreciated.

Thank you.
Thor

June 1, 2008 | 4:43 pm

What messages are you sending with your "write" message? maybe you are
using an inappropriate codec, or not setting the quality to "max".

M

On Jun 1, 2008, at 12:32, Thorolf Thuestad wrote:

>
> Hello all.
>
> I am currently working on a project where I need to record several
> thousand filmclips via jitter into a database. They need to be
> recorded with sound. The clips are of people speaking(sitting still)
> and will be recorded using a new ibook. So far I am unhappy with the
> quality I have been achieving on the recorded clips.
>
> The question is simple: What is the best procedure for recording
> films from a Hd camera via firewire with Jitter. The only criteria
> is to get the highest possible quality. The sound comes from msp
> could be recorded as a seperate file joined with the quicktime file,
> whatever facilitates the highest quality. Tips regarding codecs,
> camera settings or other relevant info would be much appreciated.
>
> So far I have been using jit.qt.grab in combination with jit.vcr,
> also tried grabbing directly to disk from jit.qt.grab but did not
> see any increase in performance.
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
> Thor

June 4, 2008 | 9:26 am

I have tried several codecs, and after much experimentation am using dvpal instead of photojpeg and grabing directly to disk with jit.qt.grab. A lack of clarity on my part that Jitter in this instance is just a layer working over quicktime caused confusion.

The main problem I am having now is that I am using a Hd camera but am only able to access it in dv mode. I would prefer to get hd if at all possible. I am not having any problems recording hd in other applications. The hd optiuons show up in the device list form jit.qt.grab, but I am not able to access them, only the dv option is functional.

Any tips on why that is and how the situation may be corrected?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)