Forums > MaxMSP

Recording within a patch – where to start

jez
January 3, 2012 | 10:19 am

Newbie Q warning!
Hi,
I’m new to maxmsp and the forum. I’m building a patch for a uni assignment. I want to be able to record from my granulator module I made into a buffer which can then be reused elsewhere in the patch. Research so far indicates that a buffer size must be set first prio to recording, but ideally I’d like this to be dynamic, so that the buffer is automatically sized to the length of time between recording start and stop. Is there a routine for this? Also if this could then be trimmed to zero crossing points that’d also be really useful…

Any help / advice much appreciated.

jez
January 3, 2012 | 11:52 am

Oops. Buffer~ does size dynamically. However the zero crossing thing would be cool.

January 3, 2012 | 12:24 pm

You can change buffer size dynamically by either dynamically resizing the buffer (sending it a crop message) or by dynamically changing playback portion (if you’re using groove~ you send it a max loop size). I prefer the latter.

For the zero crossing you can just force that by having a tiny fade in/out when you start/stop.

Here’s a looper/sampler I built around groove/poke that does what you’re looking for (and more).

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

jez
January 4, 2012 | 3:59 pm

Hey Rodrigo,
Many thanks for this – some great stuff there, really helpful;
many thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)