Forums > MaxMSP

Redraw window

September 29, 2007 | 10:30 am

Hi everybody,

I’d like to ask if anybody knows if there’s the possibility of redrawing the interface window in MaxMSP while performing. To become more specific, I want for example to see the waveform of a signal, so I have a waveform~ object in my patch. But at some time at the performance I don’t need it anymore so by clicking on a toggle key or anything I stop it. Is there the possibility not only to stop displaying the waveform but to redraw the window so that the waveform~ object is not visible at all? In a general situation, what are the possibilities in switching between modes of view, hiding/revealing not only objects but even contained patches/subpatches?
Since I’m very new in MaxMSP and the manuals are a total of about 2000 pages, please if there is something relevant in the manuals tell me where it is and I’ll read it. I searched but didn’t find something to help me on this issue.

Thank you

September 29, 2007 | 11:49 am

>Hi everybody,
>
>I’d like to ask if anybody knows if there’s the possibility of
>redrawing the interface window in MaxMSP while performing. To become
>more specific, I want for example to see the waveform of a signal,
>so I have a waveform~ object in my patch. But at some time at the
>performance I don’t need it anymore so by clicking on a toggle key
>or anything I stop it. Is there the possibility not only to stop
>displaying the waveform but to redraw the window so that the
>waveform~ object is not visible at all? In a general situation, what
>are the possibilities in switching between modes of view,
>hiding/revealing not only objects but even contained
>patches/subpatches?
>Since I’m very new in MaxMSP and the manuals are a total of about
>2000 pages, please if there is something relevant in the manuals
>tell me where it is and I’ll read it. I searched but didn’t find
>something to help me on this issue.

you could try to use Bpatchers maybe???

at least it would allow to see different things at different moments
in the same area of the patch….

best

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart

September 30, 2007 | 5:15 pm

Ok, I’ll try bpatchers. If they allow me to see different things in the same area of the patch, as you said, it may be enough for my current work. I’ll look in the manuals for more about bpatchers.

Thanks for your replying kasper!

FunnyZen

September 30, 2007 | 6:09 pm

>Ok, I’ll try bpatchers. If they allow me to see different things in
>the same area of the patch, as you said, it may be enough for my
>current work. I’ll look in the manuals for more about bpatchers.

the "patcher more" in the help file shows the offset command

this could be one way to do (at least partially) what you want

best

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart

October 4, 2007 | 3:56 pm

FunnyZen schrieb:
> I’d like to ask if anybody knows if there’s the possibility of
> redrawing the interface window in MaxMSP while performing.

Yes, its not too complicated. You can script it. If you name an object,
you can hide it, delete it, move it to a different place.
Look at the thispatcher.help and the manual pages to thispatcher…

It’s fun…

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

October 4, 2007 | 6:05 pm

Maybe this is really obvious, but the other option is to use multiple windows. When you put stuff in a subpatcher you can double click on it to open it in a new window. Or you can create your own buttons to open the window, see pcontrol. Then when you are done you just close the window. If that fits your needs it can’t get much simpler than that.

I’ve seen multi-window patches where the patch was listening for various key presses that would bring a specific window to the front (see thispatcher’s front command and the key object). If you have a lot of windows this can be a good way to manage them.

Otherwise, scripting and/or bpatcher as others have suggested. Listening for key presses to show/hide things might be useful with that approach too.

-Adam

Dan
October 4, 2007 | 9:49 pm

Select the objects you’d like to hide. Apple/Ctrl + K to hide them
(also in Object menu > Hide on Lock). Lock the patcher (Apple/Ctrl +
E). Voila! Also works for patchcords (Apple+Opt + click ‘n’ drag to
select them).

October 5, 2007 | 5:44 pm

Thank you for your response guys, scripting sounds interesting to me and controlling windows with buttons seems to be useful, I’ll try it. I already tried something with bpatchers using the thispatcher object. It worked, but I think there is a bug. When I switch from displaying one region of my object to another region, by sending offsets to thispatcher, it does not completely clear the area. So it displays the new region of the object together with some part of the previous region. Is there anything I can do about it?

Dimitris

October 5, 2007 | 6:40 pm

Quote: FunnyZen wrote on Fri, 05 October 2007 10:44
—————————————————-
> I already tried something with bpatchers using the thispatcher object. It worked, but I think there is a bug. When I switch from displaying one region of my object to another region, by sending offsets to thispatcher, it does not completely clear the area. So it displays the new region of the object together with some part of the previous region. Is there anything I can do about it?
>

This is a major annoyance in the current version of Max. See this thread for a workaround: http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=103010

I run into problems with this every time I try to do GUI scripting. I really hope these problems disappear in Max 5.

-Adam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)