Forums > MaxMSP

Reducing CPU load from tanh~ with lookup~

June 14, 2013 | 7:33 am

Hi guys,

I’m trying to save a bit of CPU on my main performance patch.
I use tanh~ a lot on the outputs of audio modules as a kind of cheap limiter that gives a slightly nicer distortion than the using clip~.

I came across this post that says to use lookup~ instead for lighter CPU usage: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/valve-distortion/

I’ve been doing a few tests and using Max’s built in ‘Show CPU usage’ function I have found that tanh~ seems to be much cheaper on CPU than standard MSP lookup~ or indeed Gen~ lookup~ with linear interpolation.
Here’s my readout:
-tanh~ 16.46%
-lookup~ 20.59%
-gen~ 37.22%

Have I done something wrong? Should I be looking elsewhere to lower my CPU usage and leave the tanh~’s alone?

Here’s the patch:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

June 14, 2013 | 8:12 am

Not sure what’s happening; could be that C’74 came up with some optimization. How’d you benchmark it? (a lot of copies?)

Something that I often go after as low-hanging fruit for optimization is line~. Most usages of line~ can be down-sampled by a factor of 16 with relatively negligible consequences. (Inside a poly~, and be sure to turn resampling off)

June 14, 2013 | 9:12 am

Thanks for your reply. The benchmarking process was simply using the ‘Show CPU usage’ from the ‘view’ menu.
If you engage it, then disengage it you get a printout in the Max window of the average CPU usage and then a list of all of the MSP objects and what percentage of the average they take up.

downsampling line~ seems interesting. Would the footprint of poly~ not limit the difference though?

I’ll give it a go though most of my DSP is being migrated to Gen~ so I generally smooth values with the history/mix combination now.

Cheers.

June 14, 2013 | 9:29 am

Just tried out the downsampling line~ trick and it appears I was right, the footprint of poly~ actually makes it take up more CPU.

The show CPU usage readout gave me an average of 0.8% CPU usage with poly~ taking up 27.54% of that and line taking only 5.32%.

Is this right or is the Show CPU usage function not giving me a proper readout?

Here’s the poly patch:
<code>

</code>

Here’s the master patch:

<code>

</code>

June 14, 2013 | 9:36 am

Having said that, I’ve just tested with four of each in a patch.

With the poly~ method, the first poly~ costs lots but then each instance of the poly~ thereafter seems to cost less.
Four instances of the poly, cycle~, live.gain~, *~ and ezdac costs 1%CPU

Also using the line~ method seems to make the live.gain~ cost more?
Four instances of line~, cycle~, live.gain~, *~ and ezdac costs roughly 1.3%CPU.

Does that sound right? Am I benchmarking this stuff wrong?

June 14, 2013 | 10:31 pm

I’d say beware the micro-benchmark. Most of the benchmarking patches I’ve seen use a lot of copies. (50-100 at least!)

Away from machine so can’t check right now, but are you using @resample 0 for poly~?

You can also use x / (1+0.28*x^2) as a replacement for tanh. (Need to clip input, though, as it goes back towards 0!)

June 15, 2013 | 3:59 am

You can use the multithreading option for Poly too (see help file)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)