Forums > MaxMSP

Removing clicks from a time based groove trigger

April 22, 2014 | 1:45 pm

Hello All,

I have a M4L patch that captures audio and slices it into 8 divisions to be played on the Push (ala MLR). I’ve got this thing working pretty flawlessly except for the clicks happening when I trigger different time points in my ~groove object.

I have been debating what the best (and most efficient way) of addressing this would be. Simply have 8 different groove~ objects with different start points and thier own envelope? But then I would have to sequence them Which I would rather not do.
Or could i have 2 identical buffers, and do some type of windowing to fade between them?

Any suggestions?

April 22, 2014 | 3:29 pm

yes. absolutely. 8 different groove~ objects. no problems. that’s what i’d do. sometimes i create an extra 8, they don’t do anything, just for backup in case the computer forgets the first 8.
(2 identical buffers is how they did it in mlrV… but is still similar to the 8 buffer~ idea, heheheheheheheheheeeeheheeeheeeeee.. wait.. why am i laughing? O_o)

under no circumstances would i use any of the techniques in this shitty tutorial:

http://cycling74.com/toolbox/rajaslilsamplingtutorial/

nor would i use this thing, it sucks ass:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/millerpuckettes-switchramp-reworked-in-gen/

(please excuse my mischievous reply here, sometimes i feel… i must live up to my name ;D)

April 24, 2014 | 1:02 pm

Thank you AssWipe!

I implemented the switch & ramp into my patch, and it definitely makes things a bit smoother and less clickity clackity.

I’ll have a go over your sampling tutorial as well, looks to be fairly exhaustive.
I appreciate the assistance from a fellow bay are resident (asswipe).

-E

April 24, 2014 | 2:21 pm

^Haha, yay! I feel like i’ve been waiting years for someone to refer to me as asswipe here (love to see it in writing, thanks for going with it) :)

The switch&ramp doesn’t account for changes in slope(so there’s still a chance of another type of click besides the usual… ‘sample-difference/disparity click’.. but it doesn’t happen as often and usually sounds more like a lopassed click(i don’t mind it on beats or synths, but if you were sampling a live panflute or something(hehe… like an electroacoustic-panflute rockstar! :D)… maybe you’d want something closer to ideal…)).

The double-buffered idea you had shouldn’t be ruled out either… it would actually use the same buffer~ but 2 different crossfading groove~s(especially for highly synced granular playback stuff)… but for something like MLR, may be overkill in terms of resources…

Declicking is something i ran into often in max over the years(can you tell?! >:D), it’s good to get to know as many options as you can.

Glad to be of help, Cheers!

April 24, 2014 | 2:28 pm

Yeah there are still some ‘clicks’ (maybe bumps is a better word?), but this was so fast, and I’d rather start rehearsing/creating with this again rather then go down the rabbit hole of programming something else at the moment.

I will be using this on all types of sources, elec/acoustic guitar, bass, and all types of synths and drums, and to be honest, I don’t even mind the small discontinuities. Gives everything a bit of percussive presence when used in practice.

I think the double buffered thing could be interesting, and useful for more than just de-clicking. But now I can see myself peering down the rabbit hole….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)