resetting phase of phasor~ w/o clicks eveytime frequency changing?

May 30, 2011 at 7:04am

resetting phase of phasor~ w/o clicks eveytime frequency changing?

Hello
I searched all the threads with keyword “cycle~’ and “phase” and I couldn’t find answers.
Can someone help me with this issues please?

Like the patch I included, I’d like to reset the phase of phasor~ everytime I change the frequency(1.) but without click.
I can understand clicks are not avoidable in my patch.

What I want to do with the solution is the bottom patch.
If I play with one of frequencies(3.) and then reset the frequencies by pressing 220(2.), I want all the phase of cycle~ objects lined up without clicks.

I plan to control those frequencies with something like midi controllers. Since timing is not crucial, I digged into using sah~ to quantize but I couldn’t figure out.

Thank you in advance
Jin

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
May 30, 2011 at 1:50pm

Try having just one master [phasor~] oscillator and then time-scaling your individual [cycle~]s using [rate~] objects.

May 30, 2011 at 1:50pm

Try having just one master [phasor~] oscillator and then time-scaling your individual [cycle~]s using [rate~] objects.

May 30, 2011 at 3:05pm

Volker Böhm’s vb.phasor0~ may not do what you want, but may help…

-> http://www.esbasel.ch/Downloads/MaxMSP-Objects.htm

May 30, 2011 at 3:05pm

Volker Böhm’s vb.phasor0~ may not do what you want, but may help…

-> http://www.esbasel.ch/Downloads/MaxMSP-Objects.htm

May 31, 2011 at 7:50am

@goodparleyandorfing awesome! thank you so much!

@Patrick Delges thank you. This is the one I’m looking for. But I’d like to solve the problem using just default objects.

Just one more question!

What about rect~ or saw~? Those have only sync input not phase input.
Can you control all the frequency of oscillators from 1 master phasor~?
I tried 2. in the patch below but if the numbers into right inlet of rate~ is either under 0.5 and over 2.0, it stops making sound.

I’d like to make something like left part patch. but without clicks.
Going out of phase when having different frequencies is OK.
I’d like all the phase of rect~ are lined up (or “oscillators resets itself” according to manual)when I reset the frequencies to the same frequency(here is 220hz).

Thank you again!

May 31, 2011 at 7:50am

@goodparleyandorfing awesome! thank you so much!

@Patrick Delges thank you. This is the one I’m looking for. But I’d like to solve the problem using just default objects.

Just one more question!

What about rect~ or saw~? Those have only sync input not phase input.
Can you control all the frequency of oscillators from 1 master phasor~?
I tried 2. in the patch below but if the numbers into right inlet of rate~ is either under 0.5 and over 2.0, it stops making sound.

I’d like to make something like left part patch. but without clicks.
Going out of phase when having different frequencies is OK.
I’d like all the phase of rect~ are lined up (or “oscillators resets itself” according to manual)when I reset the frequencies to the same frequency(here is 220hz).

Thank you again!

May 31, 2011 at 8:59am

The simple way would be to just use [wave~] driven by [phasor~], that way you can play any waveform you desire. But it should be possible the way you describe (don’t have Max/MSP on this computer so can’t confirm..)

May 31, 2011 at 8:59am

The simple way would be to just use [wave~] driven by [phasor~], that way you can play any waveform you desire. But it should be possible the way you describe (don’t have Max/MSP on this computer so can’t confirm..)

May 31, 2011 at 10:07am

I have a problem using 1 master phasor~ controlling several cycle~ object.
It doesn’t make clicks but phases are not lined up.
If you press 1(1.) after playing with rate multiplier(2.), their phases are not lined up.
I guess it’s natural
Sometimes gain gets so lowered so I can’t really hear it(with audible frequency).

Any solution?
Help me please!!!!
Or am I just wasting time for things I can’t accomplish with max?

May 31, 2011 at 10:07am

I have a problem using 1 master phasor~ controlling several cycle~ object.
It doesn’t make clicks but phases are not lined up.
If you press 1(1.) after playing with rate multiplier(2.), their phases are not lined up.
I guess it’s natural
Sometimes gain gets so lowered so I can’t really hear it(with audible frequency).

Any solution?
Help me please!!!!
Or am I just wasting time for things I can’t accomplish with max?

May 31, 2011 at 1:15pm

Have you looked at the sync messages, like ‘sync lock’? Have a look at [rate]s reference file, what you want to do should be achievable..

May 31, 2011 at 1:15pm

Have you looked at the sync messages, like ‘sync lock’? Have a look at [rate]s reference file, what you want to do should be achievable..

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:30am

Yes, I tried different sync mode.
@either sync lock or cycle, it makes clicks due to jumping to new position of phase when I change rate multiplier.
It also says “causing a discontinuity in the output signal” in reference.

I need to achieve both cases at the same time.
align all phases from the output of rate~ object with no clicks……

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:30am

Yes, I tried different sync mode.
@either sync lock or cycle, it makes clicks due to jumping to new position of phase when I change rate multiplier.
It also says “causing a discontinuity in the output signal” in reference.

I need to achieve both cases at the same time.
align all phases from the output of rate~ object with no clicks……

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:42pm

I see; in that case you might have to do it yourself. It could probably be done with max objects if you don’t know how to write externals. When you want to ‘sync’ you would just need to send 0Hz to the ‘out of sync’ saw wave once it has reached the zero crossing. Then when the other saw wave reaches a zero point, reset them both to the same frequency.

Might have to abandon [phasor~] though and use [count~] driving [index~]..

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:42pm

I see; in that case you might have to do it yourself. It could probably be done with max objects if you don’t know how to write externals. When you want to ‘sync’ you would just need to send 0Hz to the ‘out of sync’ saw wave once it has reached the zero crossing. Then when the other saw wave reaches a zero point, reset them both to the same frequency.

Might have to abandon [phasor~] though and use [count~] driving [index~]..

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:26am

I’ll try it.
Thank you!

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:26am

I’ll try it.
Thank you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.