Forums > MaxMSP

resonators~ vs. Ableton's Resonator

September 28, 2010 | 2:50 am

Hello everyone,

I have been checking out CNMAT’s resonators~ external, comparing it with Ableton Live’s built-in Resonator effect. My ultimate goal is to create a patch using a palette of different "host" recordings to excite various banks of resonators in just intonation as an instrument to be played with a button-grid interface. Needless to say, the resonators~ object is much more attractive than Ableton’s in its capacity for fine-tuning. On the other hand, some of the harmonics and filtering built into the Ableton effect have their own appeal.

Since I am a relative newcomer to serious Max/MSP programming (coming initially from modest Max for Live experience) I am curious if anyone on these forums has created any patches or has advice regarding the resonators~ object that they’d like to share. Hoping to get some ideas since this is my first attempt at creating a virtual instrument from the ground up.

Many thanks in advance!

Luke

September 28, 2010 | 3:38 am

I have been experimenting quite a bit with resonator~. Here are some
thoughts on where you might want to take things…

The CNMAT patches use resonance models to tune resonate filters.
These models are formated as SDIF files. SDIF files specify the
sinusoidal profiles of partials with in a sound.

You will definitely want to look at SPEAR.
http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/
It is an analysis tool that creates SDIF files which you can load
in resonator~.

You will also want to look at the CNMAT patch "Resonance Model
Workspace". It comes with in the same distribution that includes
resonator~. It is not the easiest patch to figure out but is
great for creating these resonance models.

September 28, 2010 | 9:02 am

Live’s resonator effect is a totally different kind of "resonator" to the CNMAT resonator object. It is a bank of IIR comb filters rather than a bank of 2 pole resonant bandpass filters.

September 28, 2010 | 1:04 pm

@Anthony, Thanks for that clarification. My first impression was that SDIF was primarily intended as a companion for the GUI elements or using recorded sounds as models (neither of which I am particularly interested in at the moment). Good to know about the Resonant Model Workspace, as well. Cheers.

@oli larkin, I had suspected that there was a fundamental difference between the two, but thought that maybe I just hadn’t fine-tuned the resonators~ object with more partials and added filters to the output stage, etc.

Thank you both!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)