Restore from ASR image and Pace

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:48pm

Restore from ASR image and Pace

Just wondering whether anybody knows if a software restore using an ASR image (clone) of my previously-working, and authorized system, will maintain my PACE registration. I know it’s not a big deal to just request a new one, but I already have to bug c74 for another response in the next day or two, as a result of a Boot Camp Linux dual-boot gone wrong, and it’s looking like I’m going to be wiping my main work machine again as well… They’re really gonna start to wonder about me! (While I’m really starting to wonder about computers…)

J.

#30085
Feb 5, 2007 at 7:56am

jbmaxwell wrote:
> Just wondering whether anybody knows if a software restore using an
> ASR image (clone) of my previously-working, and authorized system,
> will maintain my PACE registration. I know it’s not a big deal to
> just request a new one, but I already have to bug c74 for another
> response in the next day or two, as a result of a Boot Camp Linux
> dual-boot gone wrong, and it’s looking like I’m going to be wiping my
> main work machine again as well… They’re really gonna start to
> wonder about me! (While I’m really starting to wonder about
> computers…)

It should, and even if you wipe everything you might not need a new
response. The challange is different, but at least in the past, the same
response would work, just try…

If you sort out the boot camp linux triple-boot problems, share the
results…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#95365
Feb 5, 2007 at 8:27am

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 07:56
—————————————————-
> jbmaxwell wrote:
> > Just wondering whether anybody knows if a software restore using an
> > ASR image (clone) of my previously-working, and authorized system,
> > will maintain my PACE registration. I know it’s not a big deal to
> > just request a new one, but I already have to bug c74 for another
> > response in the next day or two, as a result of a Boot Camp Linux
> > dual-boot gone wrong, and it’s looking like I’m going to be wiping my
> > main work machine again as well… They’re really gonna start to
> > wonder about me! (While I’m really starting to wonder about
> > computers…)
>
> It should, and even if you wipe everything you might not need a new
> response. The challange is different, but at least in the past, the same
> response would work, just try…
>

Well, it looks like I pooched the ASR clone anyway. I did the restore (though to a new HD, just to be safe!), and the bloody thing wouldn’t boot. Tried manually blessing and so on, but no joy. Oh well. I’m thinking I *might* just do an erase and install on the new drive today… If I’m feeling extra patient. I want to try having to totally separate audio systems on my G5, just to see. I’ve noticed with this last erase and install that, as I got all my daily crap and business apps on there (stuff for maintining my website, and so on), overall performance seemed to drop. Very strange. There are no particularly suspicious looking processes running, but I’m sure this thing ran much better for music stuff before I put all the graphics/web design stuff on. I don’t know if there’s an actual conflict somewhere, or if it’s just a bloated filesystem, or what. But even if it’s just suspicion, I’d like to at least try a totally dedicated audio boot. Does anybody have any concrete experiences to share on this subject? On whether to keep a dedicated audio system — not just an account, but a dedicated boot? It was a no-brainer in OS 9, but I’ve always suspected it was just superstition in OS X.

> If you sort out the boot camp linux triple-boot problems, share the
> results…

The triple-boot thing shouldn’t really be a problem. In this case I needed to go from an OS X + ubuntu machine to an OS X + XP machine (I don’t have enough HD space for all three, IMO). The problem was getting XP to install on the volume which had previously been ubuntu’s root — the XP installer seemed to gag at the fact that the first partition on the drive was the Linux boot space (200 MB). I got the volume reformatted to FAT32, and the XP installer/boot camp recognized it, but after the initial “copying files” and the reboot, it just stopped, complaining that there was no bootable volume. For the OS X + ubuntu I was using rEFIt, which is a great little boot-loader, and there are articles on using it with triple-boot systems. Unfortunately, I’m back to XP and OS X only… Boring, but I’ve got work to do!

cheers,

J.

#95366
Feb 5, 2007 at 9:37am

I’ve reformatted drives, and my MaxMSP auth “survived”.
However, and this shouldn’t apply to you, but I did put an drive (from my
old Powerbook, which was authorized, into a new Powerbook, and that killed
the auth. Interesting…)

On 2/5/07, jbmaxwell wrote:
>
>
> Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 07:56
> —————————————————-
> > jbmaxwell wrote:
> > > Just wondering whether anybody knows if a software restore using an
> > > ASR image (clone) of my previously-working, and authorized system,
> > > will maintain my PACE registration. I know it’s not a big deal to
> > > just request a new one, but I already have to bug c74 for another
> > > response in the next day or two, as a result of a Boot Camp Linux
> > > dual-boot gone wrong, and it’s looking like I’m going to be wiping my
> > > main work machine again as well… They’re really gonna start to
> > > wonder about me! (While I’m really starting to wonder about
> > > computers…)
> >
> > It should, and even if you wipe everything you might not need a new
> > response. The challange is different, but at least in the past, the same
> > response would work, just try…
> >
>
> Well, it looks like I pooched the ASR clone anyway. I did the restore
> (though to a new HD, just to be safe!), and the bloody thing wouldn’t boot.
> Tried manually blessing and so on, but no joy. Oh well. I’m thinking I
> *might* just do an erase and install on the new drive today… If I’m
> feeling extra patient. I want to try having to totally separate audio
> systems on my G5, just to see. I’ve noticed with this last erase and install
> that, as I got all my daily crap and business apps on there (stuff for
> maintining my website, and so on), overall performance seemed to drop. Very
> strange. There are no particularly suspicious looking processes running, but
> I’m sure this thing ran much better for music stuff before I put all the
> graphics/web design stuff on. I don’t know if there’s an actual conflict
> somewhere, or if it’s just a bloated filesystem, or what. But even if it’s
> just suspicion, I’d like to at least try a totally dedicated audio boot.
> Does anybody have any concrete experi!
> ences to share on this subject? On whether to keep a dedicated audio
> system — not just an account, but a dedicated boot? It was a no-brainer in
> OS 9, but I’ve always suspected it was just superstition in OS X.
>
> > If you sort out the boot camp linux triple-boot problems, share the
> > results…
>
> The triple-boot thing shouldn’t really be a problem. In this case I needed
> to go from an OS X + ubuntu machine to an OS X + XP machine (I don’t have
> enough HD space for all three, IMO). The problem was getting XP to install
> on the volume which had previously been ubuntu’s root — the XP installer
> seemed to gag at the fact that the first partition on the drive was the
> Linux boot space (200 MB). I got the volume reformatted to FAT32, and the XP
> installer/boot camp recognized it, but after the initial “copying files” and
> the reboot, it just stopped, complaining that there was no bootable volume.
> For the OS X + ubuntu I was using rEFIt, which is a great little
> boot-loader, and there are articles on using it with triple-boot systems.
> Unfortunately, I’m back to XP and OS X only… Boring, but I’ve got work to
> do!
>
> cheers,
>
> J.
>
>


arliss renwick
http://www.myspace.com/radiopellucid

http://picasaweb.google.com/maxmsp/KoreaKoreaKoReverendAlGreen

#95367
Feb 5, 2007 at 9:46am

Quote: Arliss Renwick wrote on Mon, 05 February 2007 09:37
—————————————————-
> I’ve reformatted drives, and my MaxMSP auth “survived”.
> However, and this shouldn’t apply to you, but I did put an drive (from my
> old Powerbook, which was authorized, into a new Powerbook, and that killed
> the auth. Interesting…)
>

yeah, I’d assume the auth checks something about the hardware — often MAC address. So the new powerbook wouldn’t fit the picture. It’s strange because I remember waaaay back that my Max auth seemed to survive just about anything — including a reformat. But in recent versions, it’s been consistently killed by reformatting. Dunno… ??

Not a big deal, I suppose. A bit of a hassle, though. I may have to get an iLok key. But then it’s more usb ports… yuk.

J.

#95368
Feb 5, 2007 at 11:12am

On 5-Feb-2007, at 9:46, jbmaxwell wrote:

> yeah, I’d assume the auth checks something about the hardware —
> often MAC address.

Pace is too intelligent to rely on MAC, which can easily change and
you may have multiple MACs on a single Mac.

> So the new powerbook wouldn’t fit the picture. It’s strange because
> I remember waaaay back that my Max auth seemed to survive just
> about anything — including a reformat. But in recent versions,
> it’s been consistently killed by reformatting. Dunno… ??

Pace CP evolves as the hardware evolves. When the core of the CP
involved writing invisibly to unused sectors of your disk, the CP
would survive a soft format. I would expect that now Mac hardware
supports a serial number for the computer iteslf, Pace is making use
of that information.

> Not a big deal, I suppose. A bit of a hassle, though. I may have to
> get an iLok key. But then it’s more usb ports… yuk.

Cycling is extremely supportive of providing new authorizations when
you need them… with the caveat that the support is business hours
Pacific Time, Mon-Fri, closed on public holidays. So if you want 24/7
guaranteed access to your copy-protected software, iLok is probably
the way to go.

I recently went looking for USB hubs. I wasn’t terribly impressed by
what I saw at a Staples in the US, but down at Conrad in Berlin there
was no lack of choice. Amazon.co.uk recently tried to sell me a hub
disguised as a minature TARDIS. How could anyone say no?

– P.

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
Universal Binaries on the way
iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de

#95369

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.