resurrecting Auvi project

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:05pm

resurrecting Auvi project

Hi all.

I need to resurrect an old project, which is heavily dependent on various Auvi objects.

It’s a bit of a one-off, and wouldn’t merit the time I’d have to take to replace the Auvi objects, even if I could find equivalents.

So I’m trying to see if I can get an Auvi-compatible system together. Am I correct in thinking that it’s compatible with Max 4.5?

And following on from that – can Max 4.5 run on an Intel machine? and where can I get hold of a copy of 4.5?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers!

J

#40184
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:11pm

Ok, so I can answer my last question – good ol C74 having legacy versions of the software on their site. Now I just need to work out exactly which versions of Max and Jitter to download – again, if anyone has any guidance…?

#141944
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:31pm

I just reanimated a former project and had to use 4.5 for that. I found
that Jitter 1.5.3 fits to that and that it runs on Intel Macs. No idea
if auvi can be integrated.

John.

Joseph Hyde schrieb:
> Hi all.
>
> I need to resurrect an old project, which is heavily dependent on various Auvi objects.
>
> It’s a bit of a one-off, and wouldn’t merit the time I’d have to take to replace the Auvi objects, even if I could find equivalents.
>
> So I’m trying to see if I can get an Auvi-compatible system together. Am I correct in thinking that it’s compatible with Max 4.5?
>
> And following on from that – can Max 4.5 run on an Intel machine? and where can I get hold of a copy of 4.5?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers!
>
> J
>

#141945
Oct 7, 2008 at 1:03am

I could be wrong, but the old CFM plugin support, which AUVI requires, will run only on PPC machines.

Good luck. I miss AUVI, but, like others ive moved on.

#141946
Oct 7, 2008 at 11:47am

John and vade – many thanks for answers. I guess I’ll just have to give it a go!

Yes, I’ve also pretty much moved on from Auvi (I guess we’ve all had to), but this is an exact repeat of something I did four years ago. I guess what I really need is a time machine…

#141947
Oct 13, 2008 at 11:45am

just in case this is useful for anyone else:

So far, this combo seems to be working fine, contrary to all expectations and documentation! –

Intel PowerBook
Max/MSP 4.5.7
Jitter 1.5.1
Auvi

Yay!

#141948
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:48pm

hi joseph
i’m very interested in trying this as well, as i truly miss kurt’s
auvi objects. however, jitter 1.5.1 doesn’t seem to be available on
the C74 site, only 1.5.2. i’ll try that and cross my fingers. did you
need to do anything with the CFM support?
cheers
b

On Oct 13, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Joseph Hyde wrote:

>
> just in case this is useful for anyone else:
>
> So far, this combo seems to be working fine, contrary to all
> expectations and documentation! -
>
> Intel PowerBook
> Max/MSP 4.5.7
> Jitter 1.5.1
> Auvi
>
> Yay!

bruce tovsky
http://www.skeletonhome.com

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.”
Philip K. Dick

#141949
Oct 15, 2008 at 4:41pm

interestingly, 4.5.7 and jitter 1.5.2 works effortlessly with Auvi on
my Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.4.11 with no tweaking on my part.
installed 4.5.7 & 1.5.2, copied Auvi to the c74 folder and voila. how
is this possible? or better, why didn’t i try this before, when
everyone said it wouldn’t work?
puzzled but happy
b

On Oct 13, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Joseph Hyde wrote:

>
> just in case this is useful for anyone else:
>
> So far, this combo seems to be working fine, contrary to all
> expectations and documentation! -
>
> Intel PowerBook
> Max/MSP 4.5.7
> Jitter 1.5.1
> Auvi
>
> Yay!

bruce tovsky
http://www.skeletonhome.com

“Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.”
Philip K. Dick

#141950
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:42pm

Hi Bruce,

Sorry I didn’t reply to your early post – I’ve been tied up with the day job over the last couple of days.

My last post was wildly innacurate – it was indeed Jitter 1.5.2 I installed, and of course an Intel MacBook Pro (not Powerbook!). I was obviously in a rush, or drunk, or temporarily deranged. Anyway, I did exactly what you did and simply installed Max/MSP, Jitter and Auvi, and it just worked with no tweaking. Like you, I’m puzzled but happy..

#141951
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:49pm

Hi,

I think that Max/Msp 4.5 and Jitter 1.5.2 in your case are running
under Rosetta (emulating a G4).

All the best


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it

2008/10/16 Joseph Hyde :
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Sorry I didn’t reply to your early post – I’ve been tied up with the day job over the last couple of days.
>
> My last post was wildly innacurate – it was indeed Jitter 1.5.2 I installed, and of course an Intel MacBook Pro (not Powerbook!). I was obviously in a rush, or drunk, or temporarily deranged. Anyway, I did exactly what you did and simply installed Max/MSP, Jitter and Auvi, and it just worked with no tweaking. Like you, I’m puzzled but happy..
>

#141952
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:30pm

as expected, but i seem to recall a bit of talk that even under
Rosetta Auvi wasn’t supposed to work. but it does, and with much
better frame rates than i had on my 1.67 g4 pb.
cheers
b

On Oct 16, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Alessandro Fogar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that Max/Msp 4.5 and Jitter 1.5.2 in your case are running
> under Rosetta (emulating a G4).
>
> All the best
>
> —
> Alessandro Fogar
>
> http://www.fogar.it
>
>
> 2008/10/16 Joseph Hyde :
>>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> Sorry I didn’t reply to your early post – I’ve been tied up with
>> the day job over the last couple of days.
>>
>> My last post was wildly innacurate – it was indeed Jitter 1.5.2 I
>> installed, and of course an Intel MacBook Pro (not Powerbook!). I
>> was obviously in a rush, or drunk, or temporarily deranged.
>> Anyway, I did exactly what you did and simply installed Max/MSP,
>> Jitter and Auvi, and it just worked with no tweaking. Like you,
>> I’m puzzled but happy..
>>

bruce tovsky
http://www.skeletonhome.com

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.”
Philip K. Dick

#141953
Oct 22, 2008 at 8:15pm

This is terrific news! For a long time I’ve held off upgrading because I use auvi so often. Now I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

#141954
Oct 30, 2008 at 8:28pm

a caveat regarding this workaround for using Auvi on an Intel Mac: i
found that after installing max 4.5 and jitter 1.5 my pluggo install
got fried. deleting the max 4.5 install and reinstalling pluggo and
hipno cured the problem, so it was but a momentary irritation.
b

On Oct 22, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Betsey Biggs wrote:

>
> This is terrific news! For a long time I’ve held off upgrading
> because I use auvi so often. Now I can’t wait to try it. Thank you.

bruce tovsky
http://www.skeletonhome.com

“Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane.”
Philip K. Dick

#141955

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.