Forums > MaxMSP

Rewire/Pluggo Midi

September 6, 2008 | 10:08 am

Hi,

I simply want to automate data to send to my hardware in realtime.

I’ve made a patch in max to do this and it functions fine, however my interface is lacking, so I would like to use the envelope editor in Ableton live. Unfortunately Ableton Live does not support NRPN Values.
So I thought I could output CC values from Ableton for Max to translate to NRPN values.

I’ve tried using MIDI yoke (virtual midi cable) to send CC values from Ableton to MAX but rewiring the two programs disables MIDI input/output on the slave, and I need to use the output of Ableton and the input and output of Max. This approach would probably work if I could open the two programs without them rewiring – is this possible?

I’ve also tried fooling Ableton by making an automatable plugin which outputs midi – however nothing happens – I assume the ctlout port selection gets over-ridden by Abelton.

Is there another approach I can take?

September 6, 2008 | 4:52 pm

there is something called virtual audio cable for PC. id say check this out. then open up max first then Live…I do this on OS X using soundflower, but its not available on PC and VAC seems have similar functionality as Soundflower.

September 7, 2008 | 8:04 am

thanks, but i’m not using any audio at the moment – just midi to control my hardware. That program seems very useful though.

I worked it out though – well in a way…

MIDI-OX is my friend.

September 8, 2008 | 3:02 pm

Typical,

I spoke too soon – MIDI-OX is not my friend at all.

When it constructs NRPNs from CCs it uses 00 as it’s MSB value where my korg needs a 02.

Is it possible to open 2 rewire progs without them rewiring?

It seems silly posting here because I think my problem lies outside of Max/MSP – but hopefully someone has done something similar before.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)