Forums > MaxMSP

rewiring logic and max-loop player

November 5, 2011 | 10:43 am

i’m trying to use max msp to trigger loops from logic using re-wire and soundflower but with no joy, any ideas? x

November 5, 2011 | 7:05 pm

Can you be more specific on what you have tried and where it has failed?

November 5, 2011 | 9:13 pm

sorry, i’m using a game pad as a performance tool, i’m trying to get the triggers to fire off loops within logic however i’m not quite sure how i should wire it as the triggers have to fire the loops so i guess the rewire object needs to be patched to them and when opening logic the ‘external midi’ track sees max msp as a route option but i’m not working with midi i’m simply trying to get max to tell logic when to play a loop when triggered.

ive tried using soundflower aswell , changing the ezdacs outputs to match that within soundflower and logic.

thanks for your time.

November 13, 2011 | 5:53 pm

bump x

November 13, 2011 | 6:28 pm

Do you wanna trigger them from max IN Logic? = MIDI to logic

Do you wanna play loops TO logic from max (or even record)? = Audio to logic

1. I’m no logic user so can’t really help there other than the the loop triggers need to be midi mapable…

2. If you wanna record loops in max, rewire isn’t a good solution as you don’t have audio in on to the slave AFAIK..

November 13, 2011 | 8:09 pm

Quote:

..i’m not working with midi i’m simply trying to get max to tell logic when to play a loop..

You have to use midi for this. It’s the only language that logic understands.
Rewire doesn’t work here since logic can run only as rewire master, not slave.

November 13, 2011 | 8:33 pm

well i’m not trying to record anything its just a way to play pre recorded midi loops from logic in max.

if any could take a look at my patch i would be really greatfull

November 13, 2011 | 10:34 pm

Rewire would be the ideal solution, but as mentioned earlier it’s not possible due to limitations of logic.

So basically you would need to simulate the functionality of rewire, ie.

- synchronization of max and logic
- midi control: max –> logic
- audio transfer: logic –> max

All this can be done in principle, but will never provide the accurate timing of rewire.

November 15, 2011 | 2:30 pm

i’m still really struggling with this :( i cant get max to talk to logic at all thanks for the help so far guys xx

November 15, 2011 | 3:01 pm

Try this. Create a MIDI output object in Max with the argument "from Max 1" (or if you’re using Max 5, "from MaxMSP 1"). Use that virtual MIDI port as your input device in Logic.

P.S. This method has nothing to do with ReWire.

November 15, 2011 | 3:11 pm

Read the document ‘Control Surfaces Support’ that comes with Logic. It explains how to assign MIDI messages to the parameters you want to control. Then send the corresponding messages from Max to Logic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)