ReWiring max/msp into Pro Tools
I’ve been trying to get this to work for a while with no success at all. I’m hoping someone can state a definitive answer to this. This has been discussed in previous threads and I have tried all solutions offered without success.
Mac OSX 10.4.8
max/msp v 4.5.2
Pro Tools HD TDM 7.3.1
Here is a list of things that may point someone in the right direction to get this to work.
- Other ReWire plugins appear as inserts in Pro Tools, i.e. Melodyne, Waves ReWire.
- There are admin restrictions on these systems (educational facility) I have a suspicion that a file may need to be written to that is currently read only. If this is the case, what file? I could therefore enable read/write permission.
- Originally, the ReWire application support directory only existed in the Mac HD > Library. When this was copied to the studio profile login (the main login that users will use), the Waves ReWire plugin appeared in Pro Tools when before it hadn’t. The max/msp rewire device plugin file existed in this directory yet it didn’t appear in Pro Tools. All this leads me to believe that perhaps files and alias’s are not pointing in the right directory.
- Does ReWire need to be installed into a specific directory?
- When I start max and select ad_rewire, an alias pointing the the max rewire device file is created in the application support directory of the studio profile, maybe it needs to be pointing somewhere else?
- We have another system set up, identical except that it is running Pro Tools LE 7.3.1. On this system, max does rewire into Pro Tools and works the way it should.
- Can anyone with a similar set up qualify that max does reire into a pro tools HD system?
So hopefully that is enough to get any audio specialist started on solving this interesting conundrum. I’m looking forward to some answers!
To add to the above, I should piont out that in the DSP status patch, when I select ad_rewire as the driver, the sampling rate is set to 0 and can not be changed. Is this correct?
Still looking forward to replies :)
not a solution but another option is to use JACK or a similar program
to route audio and then just send midi commands back and forth as
needed… creating your own patch in max to route midi?
This is usually all I need and saves the trouble of trying to wrangle rewire.
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Tim
> To add to the above, I should piont out that in the DSP status patch, when I select ad_rewire as the driver, the sampling rate is set to 0 and can not be changed. Is this correct?
> Still looking forward to replies :)
At 2:23 PM +0200 4/17/08, Mihalic Alexander wrote:
>you can’t use JACK with PT…… it’s impossible
Not impossible – just need to be aware of possible clock drift in
certain situations. If you want to just record a short passage for
example, it should work fine. However if running a several minutes
long track, might run into problems.
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major
Yes, thanks. Jack is possibly an option, but not the solution I’m looking for. It has to be max into pro tools via rewire. Another difference I’ve noticed between the system that works and the system that doesn’t is the max/msp rewire device file "kind" is different (when looking at file info (apple + i). One system (working) it is a "library support" file, other system (not working) it is a "cinema tools plugin" kind. Could this somehow be interfering with correct operation?
Why are you using MaxMSP 4.5.2?
FWIW, try using 4.6.3.
Also – you can use pluggo for any patch you wish to send MIDI to and receive audio from in PT.Make synth plugs. It works much better.
We’ll do some tests on this at the office and let you know if there’s some specific problem with rewire and PT HD – I’m not aware of any, but you never know. If there are problems, we probably won’t be able to do anything about them. In the meantime, you’re best off deleting rewire components including the ones we create as a result of registering the MaxMSP rewire device and trying again.
Ben has verified that rewire works fine with both MaxMSP 4.6.3 and Max 5 to PT HD 7.4 on Intel.
I know that’s not your exact setup but…..
Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 03:29
> Ben has verified that rewire works fine with both MaxMSP 4.6.3 and Max 5 to PT HD 7.4 on Intel.
> I know that’s not your exact setup but…..
Thanks, that is good to hear. What ‘kind’ of file is the MSPRewireDevice? I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the problem.
Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 22:13
> Why are you using MaxMSP 4.5.2?
This is the latest version we have.
> Also – you can use pluggo for any patch you wish to send MIDI to and receive audio from in PT.Make synth plugs. It works much better.
Don’t have Pluggo!
>In the meantime, you’re best off deleting rewire components >including the ones we create as a result of registering the
> MaxMSP rewire device and trying again.
Tried this, no luck :(
Another day, another step closer to getting this right.
I have discovered that on another PT HD system running max/msp runtime 4.6, will create an alias in user’s aplication support, but only if I have created a rewire folder. Now when I open PT max appears as an insert. However, audio is not playing out of max and I get an error message in the max window (…restart rewire mixer) also, adstatus sample rate is locked on 0.
So one step forward and half a step back.
couple of other things I’ve discovered, in the change log for 4.5 to 4.6 it states:
- ad_rewire: on OS X, driver now attempts to create an alias in the user’s application support folder before trying /Library/Application Support to avoid file permission problems when not running as an administrator
This looks to me like an update from 4.5.2 to 4.6.3 could help, I believe this is a free update. Although why does it work on a PT LE system but not HD?
Any of this making sense to anyone? Have a great weekend while you ponder this and other quandaries of max/life.
> Quote: Andrew Pask wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 22:13
>> Why are you using MaxMSP 4.5.2?
> This is the latest version we have.
Just download 4.6.3, its a free upgrade for 4.5 users, then 4.6.3 is the
latest you have… ;-)
> Don’t have Pluggo!
Just download Pluggo or Pluggo Junior. You don’t need to buy the
plug-ins but you can use the Pluggo Runtime for free and run your own
Max created pluggos…