Rhythmic video in Jitter

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:24am

Rhythmic video in Jitter

Hi,

I’m pretty new at Jitter, but I’ve gotten through most of the tutorials. I’m trying to trigger video so that it beats out a rhythm. I understand the looping options(0, 1, 2), but I don’t want a single loop. I would like the video to loop-loop, pause, loop, pause, loop-loop, pause, loop, or whatever. You know, not a solid, loop loop loop. (Geez. I feel like I’m trying to beat box here.)

Anyhow, all I’ve been able to do so far is vary the stuff I’ve learned on the tutorials (start the video, change the speed, edit loop points). I guess my problem would be solved if I could turn off looping and just trigger the video according to a rhythmic bang once each bang.

Also: Is there a metronome or beat button you can tap (like on VJ equipment or Live) that will record a rhythm, then loop your rhythm and send out bangs to trigger your video?

Anyway. If I figure this out, I’ll happily post and share, etc.

Thanks!

Mike

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:49am

Ok, so I figured out that I can set up a > operation so it sends out a 1 (true) when I want the video to play and a 0 (false) when I want the video to stop. I just need to figure out how to make this a little more user friendly.

But does anyone know about the finger-beat drum thing (besides the global metronome thing)?

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:03pm

notein or ctlin take input from midi controllers, you can map those to video controlls using scale

if you want your messages to be looped, you can use the mtr (multitrack recorder) object.

You can also send “frame 0″ message to a jit.qt.movie to get it to start at the first frame when that message is triggered, you can send it any frame number so you can have it trigger wherever in the video you want. This way you can do some really complex video editing with just the movie and mrt objects

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:10pm

Thanks!

That mtr object looks amazing! I’ll let you know how it goes. REally appreciate the help!

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:15am
MikeR77 wrote on Sun, 15 March 2009 14:10
Thanks!

That mtr object looks amazing! I’ll let you know how it goes. REally appreciate the help!

It’s really great. The only caveat is it doesn’t accept/record bangs. So if you’re using bangs, run them through a toggle first before the mtr, then output the track playback back to the bang. It’ll come out as “1…0…1…0…” but all these will bang so you’re all set (a number box would also work). the mtr can also record notein, midiin, etc. (any number). regular seq also could help you here, with some routing/selection to grab specific notes/numbers.

Also you could look into seq~ if you want a single-track-style recording that’s easy to play at any speed and in either direction.

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:28pm

Hi,

I have a silly question about the mtr object. I tore apart the jitter tutorial about the MIDI control of video (tutorial 26 I think) and set up a mtr object to record my notein’s and mod wheel and velocity and loop points, and all that jazz. It seems to be working ok for now. I can record a simple rhythm on the fly and play it back.

Here’s the question: I have a short loop I want to repeat, but I can’t get a metro object I set up to trigger the mtr recording to bang the “play” message every 50 or 60 or whatever milliseconds.

1 – how do I get the mtr to loop what I just recorded?
2 – how do I add additional layers of looping? I would be nice to have at least 3. Should i set up 3 different mtr objects?

My performance is coming up relatively soon, so I’d like to stay with the mtr objects rather than rip everything apart and start with another object unless I really have to.

Thanks alot, everyone, and thanks for the helpful hints from my last post.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:29pm
MikeR77 wrote on Sat, 11 April 2009 14:28
Hi,

I have a silly question about the mtr object. I tore apart the jitter tutorial about the MIDI control of video (tutorial 26 I think) and set up a mtr object to record my notein’s and mod wheel and velocity and loop points, and all that jazz. It seems to be working ok for now. I can record a simple rhythm on the fly and play it back.

Here’s the question: I have a short loop I want to repeat, but I can’t get a metro object I set up to trigger the mtr recording to bang the “play” message every 50 or 60 or whatever milliseconds.

1 – how do I get the mtr to loop what I just recorded?
2 – how do I add additional layers of looping? I would be nice to have at least 3. Should i set up 3 different mtr objects?

to loop the mtr, just attach something after the “stop” command, so that it first stops, then triggers “play” right away. [t b b] or something, or use the indices of a umenu if that’s what you’re triggering the mtr with.

I didn’t have the best luck with mtr for MIDI, it worked pretty well but it seemed to be a little off (maybe was just my imagination). seq~ worked much better, though it can only handle a couple different values at a time, unlike the many tracks of mtr. Two nice advantages of seq~ is that you can have multiple ones stored in memory at once, whereas mtr only has one unless you set up a write/read function (takes a bit more to switch). The other advantage is variable-speed playback, including backwards. Can be cool. The downside is you kind of have to know how long the automation will be before you do it (approx.) so that seq~ stores your motions correctly (or you can add changes manually).

For more “layers” of looping, if you mean additional recordings you can jump around to, you’d need either more mtr objects (and all the cords that go with them…) or do some kind of auto read/write thing. Use filenames like 1.txt, 2.txt, etc. so you can store/access with a number box:

sprintf write %ld.txt /// sprintf read %ld.txt (those are lower-case L’s)

that way you don’t waste time with dialogs. Check where it saves them, it may not be with the patch… sometimes I think it puts them somewhere in Cycling ’74 folder. Use an [opendialog fold] or [filepath] or somesuch to be explicit where you want to save/recall, if it’s a problem.

mtr is very cool… combined with seq / seq~ there are a ton of automation possibilities, not just for MIDI, but any values.

I also make all my mtr cables a different color, for clarity as things get messy fast. hold option to drag-select cords, then right-click for colors.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:32am

you should also check out jitter JitterRecipes-Book2 15Gesture record

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:35am

hey there what your working on sounds really cool, could you post your patch would love to check out what you have managed to produce.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:23pm

Hey Isaac,

I’ll get something together and share it soon. Right now it’s an embarrassing wreck!

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:29pm

any news on this?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.