Forums > MaxMSP

Rotating objects in a jitter Matrix

November 8, 2010 | 6:26 am

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have been using Max for a couple years, but I really haven’t gotten into jitter at all. My focus has been in audio.

Currently, I am working on a patch that is creating a cross section of an environment through audio. Without getting into a lot of unnecessary detail, I am looking at spatializing audio within a three dimensional (8.1) matrix. I have created a visualization of this in jitter, and have been able to emulate many of the audio processes visually this way (generally motion and growth). I am using this for debugging and monitoring the system, so my limited jitter skills haven’t been too great of a hindrance, so far. But one this has left me kind of stumped.

My question, which seems like it is extremely simple, is; how do you rotate the objects? Most of the objects’ rotation does not matter, but there are certain objects (the cylinder object to be exact) that I would like to extrude in a particular direction (to emulate growth). I know in the help file for jitter.sketch shows the rot message, but I could seem to get it to work.

I would like to be able to set the direction the object is facing with a loadbang, nothing dynamic is needed.

Thank you, and my apologies for my newbness, I have generally relied on others to work the jitter component in the past, so much of it is foreign to me.

November 8, 2010 | 2:10 pm

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to do but maybe jit.rota will serve your needs? If not, there’s always the rotate options in GL (the rotate or rotatexyz attributes.)

November 8, 2010 | 7:59 pm

try rotatexyz first, for objects like your cylinder (which I’m assuming is a jit.gl.gridshape). scale X Y Z will let you extrude in whatever direction. Also check out poly_mode so you can see it as wireframe or points (with line_width and point_size attributes), often this helps see better what’s going on as you tweak things.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)