Routing problems in Live

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:28am

Routing problems in Live

Hello there,

I had a great expectations for Live9 with M4L, but for now I feel rather disappointment for the money I spent on AL suite upgrade. Also despite that I tried to study and understand M4L object model, I still feel that for me as non-programmer M4L is pain in the a… also in my area there are no Live user groups or trainers, no one to ask something about live or M4L, so I hope maybe I can get some help/explanation here before I completely give it up on M4L.

So my problem is that I trend to use lots of midi vsts on my projects and thus I’m ending up with lots of dummy tracks to just route midi output from midi plugin to correct input of multitrack vsti such as Omnisphere. I spent whole evening today with M4L, but only thing I was able to find was the method how you can select (get id?) live track, live device and parameter for the device, but not the input for the device. In tracks i/o section it is perfectly possible to route tracks output to some input of multitrack device. Is it possible to achieve this with M4L? Is it possible to route midi output data from one devices output to another devices input with M4L device?

Here is the illustration

http://postimage.org/image/79r3b4kxh/

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:01am

whoops misread your post, my previous comment was not relevant

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:17am

look in the live object model under tracks
this should get you started:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

known issue here is that currently all symbols are split in separate list items when you request the available routings
(handle that yourself, or wait for an update)

Timo

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:38pm

@gjvti, congrats on joining the Max/M4L community and welcome. The Live API features are definitely the most advanced and complicated part of M4L (at least from the user perspective) and getting up to speed with them as a non-programmer is, well, an excellent way to start being a programmer. :-) In fact, I recommend using the ‘js’ object/JavaScript for Live API stuff if you are ambitious about the Live API — the time spent learning Javascript will pay off in the end. My 2c.

But that’s not your problem. Timo’s patch is a great place to start (although it has a typo — there’s a missing ‘i’ as in ‘get _i_nput’ in the message box on the right hand side. I will make a JS version later today (I have to re-download Live so it might take a while) and show how that’s done, too.

Best, Jeremy

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:07pm

Here’s a JS proof-of-concept for getting and setting input and output routings for a device’s track. Note that, due to the bug Timo mentioned, there’s some complicated crud in the JS to (hopefully) correctly parse the names. Once that bug is fixed (ASAP), you’ll be able to remove it.

Good luck!

[EDIT: new attachment uploaded, should be OK now.]

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:32pm

Hi
Thank you a lot for your support!
I started exploring Timo’s patch, so now at least I have bare vision how this could work. So my mistake obviously was that I thought it is about the device, but I need to look at track input/output parameters. At least as I understand it is possible, so it is worth investing time to learn how to do that. About javascript – oh it is again different thing to figure out. This is all new to me, it will definitely take me lots of time. I just need a confidence that such routing is possible.
Thanks again,
Gunars

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.