Running 2 Live's at the same time

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:17am

Running 2 Live's at the same time

Im trying to run two live Application’s at the same time by duplicating the Live app in my Live Folder.
I am using the Arrangement commands/functions to control the timeline in a DJ style, with having two applications at the same time, they become deck A + B.
It seems I can’t access the Live API in both applications at once, I can’t retrieve object id’s, or send commands or functions. Only the last loaded application of Live works.
Is there anyway around this? (excluding running to laptops at once)
Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:22pm

First; you don’t have top copy executables or such. Simply check your Live preference screen; ‘Look Feel’ tab. It has an option “Allow multiple instances” which allow you to run… You get the idea ;)

You should be able to use M4L in all instances provided that you’re not using rewire. When Live runs as a rewire slave then it doesn’t allow the use of extensions such as vsts and m4l patches.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:08am

Did they remove this preference in 8.2.7?
I cannot change this under Look Feel tab.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:39am

I added -ReWireMasterOff in Options.txt in the same folder as my Ableton’s preference file as explained here : http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/options_text

Now both applications start up and there is no Notification that the application has launched in Rewire mode, however, still both applications cannot get object id’s from live.path objects.

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:45am

ShelLuser, have you been able to get two different applications speaking to the API at the same time?
Why do you think you ‘should’ be able to do this? I have attempted many workarounds, but none seem to work.. so far. :(

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:25pm

I have no idea what you’re getting at here. When I use 2 instances then both run just like any other; both allow normal usage of Max for Live, there is no reason why they shouldn’t since there is no significant difference in running one or a dozen instances.

Like mentioned easier; as long as its not running in Rewire slave mode then you’ll have full access to M4L.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:50pm

There seems to be a difference between Mac and PC. On Mac there is no “allow multiple instances” option, and to my knowledge OSX doesn’t support officially multiple copies of an app.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:28am

you can open multiple isntances of an app with several commands in teh terminal, i don’t remember whihc though. And it could be tricky.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:13pm

2 ways i have done it using a mac as i posted here:

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=14296

I haven’t tested it tons myself but i have done it and know its possible.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:30am

I just tested the command and successfully opened two instances.
But the problem is when I try to acquire an ID from a live.path object in a Max for Live plug-in, there is no output.
For example:
Sending ‘path live_set tracks 0′ to [live.path] object will only output an ID for the most recently opened copy of the application.

With -ReWireMasterOff in Options.txt I tested and made sure it opens the second instances NOT as a rewire slave, but a full copy of Live along side the other one. (There is no message saying I am in rewire mode on startup)

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:43am

you need each instance of live to be addressing independent (two) copies of max as well? point them separately in the live prefs?

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:29pm

I think this is the answer to my problem. I tried linking the two different applications to different copies of my Max application, it didn’t solve it, although I’m guessing this is because there is only 1 preference file for Live, therefore unique paths to Max application per instance cannot be achieved.
Would I be correct in assuming I need 2 different Live version’s?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.