running a patch to two VGA outputs

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:00pm

running a patch to two VGA outputs

I’m of the impression that one needs two computers if you want to run two projectors ( basically i want to be able to fluidly switch between only one video playing at a time and multiple playing at a time through two projectors, something i have written a basic patch for already) and in that case does anyone have any suggestions for linking two computers with one maxpatch?

I also just read something about the possibility of two display outputs if you have the right video card, is that true and would it work for what I am doing?

Thanks so much, as always for helpin an art student and novice programmer.

Claire

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:55am

You could use two video cards for this, each with two outputs (or one with one and one with two) so that you’d still have your interface patch on the regular monitor. I don’t know of a vid card with three outputs, but they may exist…?

Alternatively you can use the two-computer setup (which gives certain other possibilities but is a little more cumbersome) and transfer video data using jit.net.send over a network between them. jit.net.send will also send messages as well as the video, so you can (with some patching to match) control everything you need from one main computer. There will be a bit of latency and some dropped frames, especially if your video is hi-res, but with a direct connection over ethernet this shouldn’t be much.

Quote: staples.claire@gmail.com wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 14:00
—————————————————-
> I’m of the impression that one needs two computers if you want to run two projectors ( basically i want to be able to fluidly switch between only one video playing at a time and multiple playing at a time through two projectors, something i have written a basic patch for already) and in that case does anyone have any suggestions for linking two computers with one maxpatch?
>
> I also just read something about the possibility of two display outputs if you have the right video card, is that true and would it work for what I am doing?
>
> Thanks so much, as always for helpin an art student and novice programmer.
>
> Claire
—————————————————-

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:38am

what system dou you have?

check matrox dual-head-to-go

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

there is also a tripple head version

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.