Forums > Misc

running a patch ??

May 1, 2010 | 6:55 pm

apologies if I sound incredibly naive, i probably am

Anyway, im fairly happy with max msp and some jitter and ive done some projects inputing sensors into a mac and then using them to control the ouput of audio and visuals.

My question is how would one approach the next step of applying a patch to something other than an actual computer so the patch could run on its own as part of an installation?

thanks in advance
i hope i made myself clear

Jamsp

May 1, 2010 | 7:18 pm

> applying a patch to something other than an actual computer

what do you mean??

May 1, 2010 | 7:51 pm

if i wanted a maxmsp based installation that ran for a long time, wouldnt a computer be a bit overkill? when the computer will only be doing one thing. couldnt the max runtime and the patches be embedded in a chip or something that wouldnt require as much power and would be small and out of sight?

May 1, 2010 | 8:43 pm

Ok, now your question is more clear. interesting. i was wondering about that some times ago.

i don’t know but i imagine that what is needed is only a little PC mother-board with sound output using an SSD drive… if you don’t need a screen, right ?
(well, at least you would need a screen on the first configuration : To automatically load your patch at Windows start.)

What you may need is a good geek. And I’m sure some maxers must have think about this before.
Maybe you could post a new topic on this forum, but with more a precise title, for example :

"a very small PC chip to run a max patch ?"

("running a patch ??" is absolutely not a good title, because if a maxer already use a chip like this, he won’t necessarily open this topic while looking at the topic list.)

If you find the solution, I will be interested by it in the future, so, thanks by advance if you can post it back in this forum.

May 1, 2010 | 10:09 pm

thanks for the help, il take your advice and repost.

cheers Alexandre

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)