Forums > MaxMSP

sample rate

MJ
March 31, 2009 | 9:41 pm

For a project where we are using sound recognition to playback a story off a person who died in the great water flood in 1953 I need to record the name at a sample rate of 16000 Hz. I’ve tried to use the ‘sr 16000′ message into the buffer~, but that results in a very slow recording where the voice sounds like a monster!

See http://www.deramp.nl go to ‘meer info’ and there is a you tube movie of an 3D impression.

Can somebody point me in the right direction!

Thanx,

Peter

April 6, 2009 | 3:12 pm
MJ wrote on Tue, 31 March 2009 23:41
I need to record the name at a sample rate of 16000 Hz.

Could you explain why? It doesn’t make sense and therefore needs explanation…
I bet you can simply record at what sample rate you think sounds best. Then if you need as an end result a specific lofi quality, you can do a sample rate conversion with for example peak or whatever you like…

In general, your interface determines the sample rate, not a Max object…

Stefan

April 6, 2009 | 3:33 pm
Quote:
Les Ondes Mémorielles———x–
–_____———–|———–|–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()———-TJ Shredder

Hey, you found it.

_
johan

April 6, 2009 | 4:21 pm

if one lives in utrecht it is a good idea to make a max patch about the great flood …

but seriously, there is no hardware which could play audio at 16 Khz samplingrate, so it is not exactly clear what you want to do.
is it about _sounding like 16 khz samplingrate_ ? that could be done using [degrade] with a setting of (1./44100.*16000.)

kjg
April 6, 2009 | 5:06 pm
Quote:
is it about _sounding like 16 khz samplingrate_ ? that could be done using [degrade] with a setting of (1./44100.*16000.)

not necessarily. degrade would give you all the aliasing of energy above 8k folding back. that will sound very different from recording at 44k and then downsampling with a good sample rate converter, or (if you can find hardware that still supports this SR) recording at 16k with a properly implemented AA filter.

it depends what is needed: a recording delivered (for whatever reason) at 16k (and 8 bit?) but still sounding as good as possible?

OR

a "lo-fi" sound with lots of aliasing, distortion and noise, delivered in whatever SR is appropriate.

16k audio can sound better/cleaner/different from degrade at 1./44100.*16000.

regards,
klaas-jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)