Forums > MaxMSP

Save frequently used subpatch for a global use

June 13, 2013 | 3:59 am

Hey, I have created a useful subpatch and i would like to use it in more then one patch.
Is there a possibility to save a certian patch so everytime i will call it with in a subpatch, it will recognize the name and automaticlly create the premade patch?

June 13, 2013 | 4:14 am

in case your question is serious, that is done by saving the patcher to disk.

and make sure to use unique names for your personal patch collection, or you will run into to trouble later.

June 13, 2013 | 4:18 am

My question is serious.
I did save the subpatch and the patch it self.
I saved the subpatch in the same folder like the patch, but still.
When i create a new p with the same name, I just get a new blank subpatch.
I know that it is possible and it should also be very simple, I just don’t remeber how to do it.

June 13, 2013 | 4:27 am

Right! so it should be very easy as one of those things which are so easy that makes it become complicated. Once I have saved the subpatch, the next time i am gonna call it i just should not use p in the beginning.
Very simple.

June 13, 2013 | 5:14 am

nope not [p], just the name of the file. :)

furthermore, it must be in the search path of maxmsp (see file preferences). uner circumstances a file might not be found when moved or copied inside or into the search path. in this case restart max.

June 13, 2013 | 10:59 am

To go a step further, you can use arguments in your new object (the name of your saved patch). so

[my_patch 22 74]

If there are #1 and #2 symbols in the patch, they will be replaced by 22 and 74 (with a few exceptions like in comments). This lets you easily initialize or otherwise modify each instance of the patch, because unlike subpatches, all instances are the same (read off the master file).

One common use would be to have a [preset] in each of a number of patches, and you want to load sequential presets for each. No need for send/receive and routing, just

[loadmess #1] to [preset]

and on the outside, your patch names are

[my_patch 1] [my_patch 2] etc.

Furthermore, you can use #0 in the patch, and it will be replaced by a unique number upon loading. So that can then be used for unique send/receive or patch-specific naming, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)