Saving Presets within Bpatcher?

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:55pm

Saving Presets within Bpatcher?

Is it possible to save presets within bpatcher? As in, I have a preset object inside the bpatcher, as opposed to within the patch the bpatcher is embedded in. I have tried, but it doesn’t seem to work. Is there something I’m overlooking? Some preset/bpatcher message I am unaware of?

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:27pm

hmm just looking into pattr. never used this object (still beginning) but it looks extremely powerful and potentially well suited for saving settings within a bpatcher.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:30pm

On Jun 12, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Kyle Kaplan wrote:

> Is it possible to save presets within bpatcher? As in, I have a
> preset object inside the bpatcher, as opposed to within the patch
> the bpatcher is embedded in. I have tried, but it doesn’t seem to
> work. Is there something I’m overlooking? Some preset/bpatcher
> message I am unaware of?

You should take a look at the pattr world. I have a very simple
example on my examples page, called PattrKitty. http://www.xfade.com/max/examples

-C

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:28am

My understanding is that you need to save the presets in the original file that you loaded into the bpatcher. This also goes for patches you use as objects (but not subpatches). Unless there’s a read/write attached to the preset, whereby you can save and reload, any new presets you make in the bpatcher will be gone once you close the main patch.

This is also true, I believe, of any Runtime or standalone app you make. You need to have the read/write functions for the preset (or pattr for that matter) available, or users will lose what they preset. With some trickery you can save and reload the presets without a dialog box (just name it automatically).

Pattr is definitely amazing and is a big step up from presets. Plus, if you use it with integers (not interpolation), it behaves similarly to presets (jumps to the new values). But interpolation (and all kinds of control how it does this, and how long it takes) is where it’s at. Try a preset which accesses the two pattr presets and also remembers how long to go from one to the other, like with a line object. This will allow you to recall all kinds of settings you’ve stored in your pattrstorage. Pattr doesn’t work with all objects, but certainly numbers, sliders, multislider, matrixctrl, and tables (maybe?) so these options give you a lot to mess with.

–CJ

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:40am

If you want to save a bpatcher state in the parent patcher scope you have to check the “embed patcher in parent” option in the bpatcher inspector.
Anyway this will cause the bpatcher not beeing a bpatcher anymore, that’s to say the preset will be saved only in the current hosting parent and not in the bpatcher itself. Anyway this is usually fine when you have finished patching and have a working app.

The way i save a state anyway is different, i use the autopattr object inside a bpatcher, which exposes names to the parent patcher.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.