Scale Recognition based on 4 midi note input

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:22am

Scale Recognition based on 4 midi note input

Dear people,

I’m trying to build a patch that works as a scale chooser based on list of the scales and 4 midi notes input from my midi keyboard. Somehow I’m getting a stack overflow and I can’t solve the problem. It would be great if someone could help me with this. Btw, I’m pretty new with Max, therefore any help much appreciated.

Cheers!

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:07am

I recommend a perusal of Robert Rowe’s book:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/machine-musicianship

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:15am

Hi
I have a fair idea of what your patch is doing, but you have failed to include your scale collection inside coll, we don’t have a text file called “scale” so you need to select “Save Data with Patcher” inside coll’s Inspector, and un-name it.

I automatically disabled the global message “; reset bang”, this looks very like a recursive trap, but we can’t test it til we get your coll filled.

The patch below is a test to verify that saving coll’s contents and then posting online works ok:

<code>

</code>

Brendan

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:16am

. . .it does.

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:42am

Thanks for respond. Here’s the patch with coll scale list included.

<code>

</code>

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:01am

<code>

</code>

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:39am

Rick, thank you for the patch. I like “no match” idea and the bit with “if” object. Definitely I’ll implement it. Still I would like to keep “scale transposition” sub-patch with both “counter” object automating lists comparison. My idea is based on distance between voices, not necessarily on the exact chord/numbers match. Therefore I thought to use transposition of the scales. While I’m typing this message I realized that I might need to come up with note distance values and than to transpose values in order to compare them to note distance values in the scales.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:45am

Steven, thank you for recommending me the book. I pull it out my shelf (I do have it), checked it a bit and it still feels to advanced for my level. From the perspective of being jazz pianist willing to experiment a bit (which is my case) would be great to have some max patches illustrating Roberts ingenious ideas.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:56pm

Try it this way, transpose your input and then compare it to your stored scale.

<code>

</code>

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:36pm

Great, this works! Rick, thanks for the patch!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.