Forums > MaxMSP

Scratcher project video on youtube

March 18, 2007 | 1:10 am

I put together a small video to show some features in a standalone app / pluggo VSTi I’ve been working on for a while. It originally started as a simple emulator of turntable scratching and practice in interactive UI design.

I hope some people can appreciate it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4W9l0WmL6M

March 19, 2007 | 9:34 am

Cool

March 19, 2007 | 11:28 am

Great breakpoint editor! Nice file handling too.

john.

March 19, 2007 | 11:50 am

Beautifully done!

Dan

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X / Major
Malfunction
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com

March 19, 2007 | 3:43 pm

very cool, nice interface design. Are you using an LCD window
to display the scratch curves or JSUI? Is this patch available to
the public ;)

March 19, 2007 | 11:53 pm

I used a JSUI object for the main editing window so that I’d be able to use openGL commands along with a lot of array manipulation. The scratch curves as they appear now are made with the openGL stroke command.

The overall patcher is ridiculously complicated, so I’m not sure you’d even want to see it. Right now it’s 16 patcher files along with 10 different js and jsui objects. The main javascript code spans 26 pages. The code is complicated so that the resulting interface didn’t have to be : )

March 21, 2007 | 8:02 am

Aaron Faulstich schrieb:
> The overall patcher is ridiculously complicated, so I’m not sure
> you’d even want to see it.

I am absolutely sure that I want to see it, this is awesome.
You’re a master….

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

March 21, 2007 | 1:11 pm

March 21, 2007 | 2:13 pm

Aaron, fantastic execution. As a Ms. Pinky owner, I’ve been messing around
with similar concepts in my patches. In terms of UI you are way ahead, but I
would love to see how you could integrate recording of Ms. Pinky movements,
export/import of scratches, and the most important missing element any DJ
would hope for…cuts. Keep it up man, this is great.

On 3/17/07, Aaron Faulstich wrote:
>
>
> I put together a small video to show some features in a standalone app /
> pluggo VSTi I’ve been working on for a while. It originally started as a
> simple emulator of turntable scratching and practice in interactive UI
> design.
>
> I hope some people can appreciate it :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4W9l0WmL6M
>

March 21, 2007 | 5:23 pm

any chance you will make an applet we can all have + utilize, I would absolutely love to have this, as a non turntable owner who wouldn’t mind utilizing scratch sounds that aren’t generic sampled scratches.

NCRIII

March 21, 2007 | 5:35 pm

>Without more, we can find inspiration in [technoui] that comes with max.
>

speaking of, can anyone point me towards documentation / examples for [technoui]? the explainer patch in the [techno] help file is not quite doing it….

thanks

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It’s easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at http://www.doteasy.com

March 21, 2007 | 7:12 pm

March 23, 2007 | 4:27 am

I forgot to link to my site where I have Pluggo and standalone versions!

You can get them at http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~afaulsti/skrasms/scratcher/scratcher.html

The current version on my site is the same as that used in the video. I have made numerous changes and revisions since then, and will soon have an updated Pluggo version on the site with more accurate graphics, support for VST hosts that don’t allow keystrokes, and many small changes/fixes. I’m looking at Scratcher as a project that I will continue improving indefinitely.

When I get to version 1.00 I will start asking for $15 for a copy of the plug-in version, as I’m trying to find some way to pay for Jitter (among other tools to improve my capabilities) : ) I was hoping some people might donate, but so far no one has.

I’m really thankful for all the interest Scratcher is getting.

March 24, 2007 | 12:44 pm

very nice tool. the breakpoint editor itself could be used for alot of other types of automation very effectively. ive been building automation editors out of waveform that do similar things, but not as elegantly.

a few things with the patch as is

why limited to wave files?

its hard to scratch files longer than a few seconds accurately, vertical zoom i guess would be needed

can you edit the coloured marker regions?

good stuff

james

March 24, 2007 | 6:51 pm

It’s limited to wave files right now because I haven’t found a stable way to load mp3′s into Max. Trying to import an mp3 into a buffer~ usually crashes Max on my system (Max/MSP 4.6.2, WinXP SP2, though I had the same problem with version 4.5). I tried doing a full re-install of Quicktime, but it didn’t help.

I’m working on a zooming system, but I haven’t figured out a method that I really like yet. It’s definitely needed.

The colored marker regions were actually created just as a temporary fix for finding where audio occurs in the movement editor. You can currently add them with a click+drag of the left mouse button, or delete a marker with one right click. I hoped to quickly outgrow the wave markers with a better method, but it appears I will need Jitter for my original plan, so it might be a while. I may add some basic editing features to the wave markers soon.

March 24, 2007 | 7:38 pm

how about AIFFs or sd2 files though? must be easy enough

March 27, 2007 | 1:33 am

You can get mp3′s working quite nicely using jit.qt.movie (Mpeg compression was meant for video after all) in combination with spigot~ (but then I’m not sure how standalones and jitter stand – i’ve had problems when I’ve tried this in a major way before.

T

_j
March 27, 2007 | 4:28 am

pretty cool. reminds me of like the wave traveler plugin in fruity. It’d be pretty cool if you "pluggozized" this standalone, as I use cubase and would love to have that kind functionality.

chow,
jamez

March 27, 2007 | 4:32 am

Thanks for that information. I don’t have Jitter yet, but when I get it I will be sure to try!

March 27, 2007 | 4:36 am

It has been Pluggo-ized : )
The Pluggo version is now actually a little further along than the standalone I used to make the video. There’s a link to my site where I host it in this thread and also in the youtube video info.
Keep in mind it’s still in beta.

_j
April 6, 2007 | 8:28 am

yeah, the pluggo version causes a crash when run inside vst~. see attached.

April 7, 2007 | 6:51 pm

slightly off topic… Im curious, can one create pluggos and use them without owning pluggo? Or do they make that hiss noise even in your own plugin?

April 7, 2007 | 8:12 pm

Quote: Axiom-Crux wrote on Sat, 07 April 2007 20:51
—————————————————-
> slightly off topic… Im curious, can one create pluggos and use them without owning pluggo? Or do they make that hiss noise even in your own plugin?
—————————————————-

With the unregistered version, they only make the noise in the plugins that come with pluggo, not in your own plugins.

Mattijs

April 12, 2007 | 3:45 pm

>yeah, the pluggo version causes a crash when run inside vst~. see >attached.

That looks like the error that comes up when you don’t have the Pluggo runtime installed. Have you installed it?

I haven’t had any other reports of it crashing inside of any host (except when running multiple instances, which isn’t a supported feature yet).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)