Forums > Jitter

Scrolling multiple images

October 12, 2010 | 7:47 am

Can you please suggest how one could modify the patch shown below (from here: http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=1148) to work with arbitrarily long sequences of individual images loaded from a sub folder where the patch resides? And – alternatively – with several 4-part images in a sequence.

thank you

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

October 12, 2010 | 9:31 am

Without getting into the mechanics of the patch (I don’t have time at the minute), here’s a simple mechanism to dynamically load images that are numbered in sequence, but you’ll have to work out how you are going to time the loading operations.

October 12, 2010 | 12:32 pm

Thank you. This is useful to see. I figured out how to read images into umenu, I think. But I am not very clear what the patch above does and how one would go about organizing cycles. Maybe naming the files a001, a002; b001, b002 and then reading them into separate lists? Then looping through one list before switching to another and – finally – returning to the beginning? Nor sure what mechanism in MAX would be suitable.

Sorry about the simple questions.

October 12, 2010 | 2:04 pm

This patch works in the GL world, it reads an image file to gl.texture which in turn gets mapped onto a gl.sketch object which is scrolled with the position message and rendered to a window by jit.gl render. It appears there’s a gl.videoplane for a qt.movie object which will enable you to play movies on top of all this, but you can delete that section if you don’t need it.

Hook a print up to the position message going into gl.sketch and you’ll see the scrolling value for each image. I would suggest a new image gets loaded every time an image scrolls out of view. So use a ‘match’ ‘select’ or ‘=’ object or something similar to recognise a value and use that as a trigger to load a new image (with the mechanism I already gave you). I haven’t looked at this extensively, but its something to start with…

October 13, 2010 | 11:19 am

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is my attempt at this.

Some progress but I am still rather stuck.

I would like:

1. To load 4 image files as textures from a chosen folder. So far, I am managing to load one into all 4 textures and am not sure how to pick first 4 to load in order. I thought with a Gate maybe…?

2. I have added a bit that observes the position value for one of the images and generates a bang. Again, not very clear of how to use this information, especially given the confusion in point 1.

3. Even if 1 and 2 above would work, I imagine some way of preloading would be necessary to avoid jerkiness. Or how this is does in the patch is to cycles through multiple images?

Thank you again,

Anna

October 13, 2010 | 3:12 pm

OK,

1. Your friend here is modulo [%], is this what you want?

2. can be used to feed above patch

3. Well, the image that is loading should be off screen if you are timing things correctly. I should imagine it would be alright unless you are loading exceptionally large images and it might slow the whole patch down.

October 14, 2010 | 4:42 am

Thank you once again for your help. It is more or less working now. See below. I have some further questions if I may.

1. It is jerky when images are loaded. Can something be done? I.e., can I preload them into memory on patch start or some such?

2. I am not sure what dimensions I need to be changing to make it match different screen sizes.

3. Alpha blending does not seem to be having an affect.

4. I am not sure how to apply further effects to this setup given it is a gl render.

5. And finally, perhaps more challenging, how would i go about using images of the same height but of arbitrary lengths with this setup.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Hmm… In fact the images do not change off-screen as I thought they were. This is because I do not really understand the coordinates and motion math done in the patch. If someone could cast a light on it – would be super.

`

October 14, 2010 | 11:44 am

Just to add that I figured out how and where to use blending and also how to use the second layer. So, this work.

However, the other questions remain. Especially, the fact that I cannot make the new images load off screen. The place where they load seems to fluctuate…

Here is the latest version:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)