Forums > MaxMSP

Scrolling umenu display

August 11, 2009 | 1:25 pm

Hello, just wondering if the following is possible.

I would like to be able to open umenu with a bang and then scroll the menu with a game controller. When I find the option I want select it with another bang to instigate it.

I’ve tried using the different modes of umenu but they don’t do what I want because they send each option as I scroll through.

Perhaps I should look to coll? I would much rather do it with umenu though. If possible..

Thanks in advance.

August 11, 2009 | 1:32 pm

Here is an example with [umenu] in scrollmode.
(imagine [number] is your joystick and [button] also =)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Cheers,
_y

August 11, 2009 | 2:41 pm

Use the set message with umenu to select an item with no output. Then bang to output. It is actually the first example in the umenu helpfile.

I don’t think there is a way of visually opening the menu up remotely without using the max pupdate message to move the mouse, and something like aka.mouse to simulate a mouse click. But that seems a bit over the top imho.

August 11, 2009 | 3:01 pm

Thanks for the quick reply y.

That example would almost do but I need to be able to view the entire menu.

If possible.

August 11, 2009 | 4:26 pm

dx1200 wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 09:01I need to be able to view the entire menu.

If possible.

That’s not possible.

However, you can always find (ugly) workarounds with other objects that would "act like" your menu was displayed…
Beware, this kind of patch usually leads to lots of tweaking and I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Anyway, here is an example:

Cheers,
_y

August 12, 2009 | 12:15 pm

Actually, I read your 1st post again and had fun wrapping up another version, a bit cleaner and with explanations here and there (but of course far from being perfect).

Enjoy
_y

August 12, 2009 | 12:34 pm

perhaps use jit.cellblock instead of umenu…

August 12, 2009 | 12:43 pm

[quote title=gusanomaxlist wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 13:15]Actually, I read your 1st post again and had fun wrapping up another version, a bit cleaner and with explanations here and there (but of course far from being perfect).

Enjoy Wink
_y

Thank you so much Yvan. That is exactly what I needed..

I will indeed enjoy it.

March 27, 2011 | 11:06 pm

Hello,

Iv set up Yvans patch and it works great but i need more than one instance of the system with different lists. iv tried copying the system and changing the name on the send and receive signals in the sub patches but it still controls the first system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)