Forums > MaxMSP

Biggest Max/MSP Limitation

November 7, 2013 | 7:25 pm

Is possible that we can’t bring Max on websites?!

Nat
November 7, 2013 | 7:33 pm

not really possible…

November 7, 2013 | 7:34 pm

This is the biggest limitation: nowadays everything is orienting on the web,
many other softwares can do it, except max.

Nat
November 7, 2013 | 8:15 pm

Max was never intended to be a web programming language… what are you trying to do exactly ?

November 7, 2013 | 10:11 pm

November 8, 2013 | 12:06 am

lol!.

November 8, 2013 | 1:15 am

quantesizer that really is funny

but (sort of) seriously i’m glad max has nothing to do with web rendering. if you want to do that there’s of course many tools– max has its own value in that its ‘limitations’ are fairly specific to being present in an immediate physical space (like the computer you are actually using) and the designers of max not having to worry about adhering to particular web protocols of the day which might cripple it to some extent… ie it’s supposed to be ‘real time’– first there was real-time MIDI then MSP– maybe when the web becomes ‘real-time’ there would be an argument for it, but last time I had a skype experience the sync was definitely out…

November 8, 2013 | 2:58 am

I think the biggest limitation of Max is that it won’t turn my laptop into an espresso machine. Sometimes, and specially, after a few hours of intensive work, I find this a serious limitation. I think this is rather unfair, so I’ll apply for some refund to the Cycling guys. And, of course, to Apple as well!

Oh, and BTW, Max won’t drive my car, won’t wash my dishes up and won’t pay my taxes for me. What a crappy piece of software…

November 8, 2013 | 3:27 am

hey adam put in a feature request

November 8, 2013 | 6:29 am

With some patching I think I’ll run a car.

Nat
November 8, 2013 | 8:15 am

Max + Arduino + pump + heather = espresso machine

November 8, 2013 | 9:08 am

Shut up, you are old men. It’s your fault if this world find it hard to evolve: people like you justify under a mountain of bullshit their inability of understand the progress…

http://static9.depositphotos.com/1292351/1135/v/950/depositphotos_11352946-Cartoon-old-man-with-one-tooth.jpg

Nat
November 8, 2013 | 9:12 am

The web is so 2008… The future is tablets and phones ;)

November 8, 2013 | 9:19 am

How old are you 99?

November 8, 2013 | 9:27 am

guys, try running maxmsp in your head. that is where it really belongs.

November 8, 2013 | 9:58 am

It’s very hard to directly convert max patches (especially complex patches) into something running in web browser, but inside max you can deal with several technologies existing in web context – in other words: you can use max to sketch web or mobile apps.

So, for web-oriented sketching inside max you can use JavaScript, Java, or simple OpenGL (if you want, for example, test some ideas related to WebGL). JavaScript and Java code, if you don’t using max specific features will be relatively simple adaptable for web browsers, Conversion between Jitter (OpenGL related objects) and WebGL is rather hard job, but you may use Jitter OpenGL implementation to test how some OpenGL elements works. You may also try [mgraphics] as something relatively near to "canvas" in HTML.

November 8, 2013 | 10:00 am

@NAT "Max + Arduino + pump + heather = espresso machine"

You can also use DMX hardware with max to control electrical devices ;-)

November 8, 2013 | 10:02 am

I find the OP comment rather curious… What exactly is it you expect to do with Max on a website? Do you want to run your gui from a browser? I think that is already possible. Do you want to run the DSP and graphics rendering chain in the cloud?

My Max creations are doing real-time 3dgraphics, video processing, audio signal processing, all being controlled by any of a dozen controllers that I can chose at any time. Running these things in the cloud would introduce latency that would make the system UNUSABLE.

I dont think this is an issue of our "mountain of bullshit" or our "inability of understand the progress". I think it is more about you not really understanding things or what you can actually do with Max.

Good luck.

November 8, 2013 | 10:37 am

At this point I am pretty sure that I am the biggest limitation in Max. :(

November 8, 2013 | 5:29 pm

guys, try running maxmsp in your head. that is where it really belongs.

But what if I get a stack overflow? There’s no one to reboot me :(

Also, the trouble isn’t running maxmsp in your head, it’s the *porting* from head to cd that’s the problem. Max won’t run on cd.

November 9, 2013 | 2:28 pm

Shut up, you are old men. It’s your fault if this world find it hard to evolve: people like you justify under a mountain of bullshit their inability of understand the progress…

Yes of course, the Max forum always comes to mind whenever I think of people holding up progress.

November 10, 2013 | 1:18 pm

@metamax : +1

@op : if you’re looking into an audio dedicated language that includes web developpement as a "feature" or "priority", you might wna tto look into Faust, although it’s really not as easy as Max, and there are some other things using javascript and stuff as well.

November 11, 2013 | 9:07 pm

I find the OP comment rather curious… What exactly is it you expect to do with Max on a website? Do you want to run your gui from a browser? I think that is already possible.

Yes, I want to run my GUI from a browser. Can you explain how that is already possible?
Many thanks

November 11, 2013 | 9:22 pm

Let’s start with an easy thing:

November 11, 2013 | 9:39 pm

Shut up, you are old men. It’s your fault(…)

(…)

Let’s start with (…)

wtf

November 12, 2013 | 1:37 am

November 12, 2013 | 4:11 am

Dude, what do you expect. We keep telling you it’s not the right tool. What you show us has been made using html5 and possibly some other google proprietary techs. Btw, it doesn’t work in my browser (maybe it’s because i’m not on Chrome tho). If you want to do something that looks like it, just learn html5 and possibly some other google proprietary techs.

November 12, 2013 | 6:55 am

Cm’on guys, let’s start with the simple patch above!

OK, but let’s start with just a simple number box. There is no need for fancy sliders or new fangled contraptions. When I was young, we used chalk and it worked just fine.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

November 12, 2013 | 7:25 am

@METAMAX: hahahaha! Great! But how it work? Something with message box, I suppose, but in inspector I can’t see anything related to webpage…

November 12, 2013 | 4:49 pm

I just want to start with the simple max patch
(http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/searchfind-objects-in-a-patch/#post-270906)
ANTHONY PALOMBA says:

Do you want to run your gui from a browser? I think that is already possible.

@Anthony: Can you tell us how to run in a browser just the simple max patch?

November 12, 2013 | 7:43 pm

aaahhh very funny metamax– took me a while to figure it out! v. entertaining thread

I’ve never used/done web stuff in max except for jweb and some tcp/udp communication but i have heard of ‘flashserver’, maybe it’s a max object? maybe that could act as an interface between web and max?

November 12, 2013 | 8:54 pm

I suspect that less petulance and more personal effort on the part of the OP would motivate more people to help out. That has been my experience.

He may also benefit from reading up on how Max utilizes system hardware to process data. He was already told on another thread that it’s not currently possible to run Max as a cloud app. No way. No how. Period. Whatever the future may bring is for another chapter. Or book.

So…. with Max running on a local machine, it’s possible to send and receive data to and from a network. There are examples all over. It’s easiest to send/request data from an instance of Max and more difficult to control the behavior of Max in real time from a non-local, non-Max interface (ex. a web page).. but it’s doable and has been done.

OSC and java + configuration of the local system running Max seems like the best option.

http://tirl.org/software/maxjax/

http://blog.lilyapp.org/2007/05/lily_osc_1.html

https://github.com/kn0ll/osc.io/

November 12, 2013 | 8:58 pm

yaniki, unlock the patch and double click the message box.. :)

November 12, 2013 | 9:03 pm

This too:

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/node-js-to-osc-via-udp

November 12, 2013 | 11:16 pm

according to my borwer, this thread is located at "http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/searchfind-objects-in-a-patch/", which is probably another thread. something is wrong there i suspect.

November 13, 2013 | 3:32 am

@Roman : probably not, the rest of the address can be linking to a specific message in that topic. (btw what is a borwer ?..)

November 13, 2013 | 4:50 am

@ METAMAX: …unlock the patch…

Oooo!

Thanks ;-)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)