Forums > Max For Live

Send Midi to Ableton

July 30, 2012 | 7:15 am

Dear all,
I am trying to send midi data to Ableton Live. However, there is no Max/Msp in MIDI from menu in midi channel in Live. Do you have any idea that What I’m doing wrong?
Thank you

July 30, 2012 | 8:17 am

In LivePreferences go to the midi tab and enable the ports (Max/MSP has to be open).
Double click the Max midi out objects you use to select to ports you are sending with …

July 30, 2012 | 8:35 am

Thank you for the reply. But, there is not Max ports. Is there any possibility that I can open a Max port?

July 30, 2012 | 9:19 am

Rewire has always been a bit flakey when it came to MIDI. You’re right btw; if you start Live in rewire slave mode then all the options to assign midi devices / channels are disabled in the pref. screen. This is by design; as you guessed the normal way is to select the incoming MIDI source from the i/o section in a midi channel.

Unfortunately… Well, I’ve been at this too for a few times and so far have only succeeded in getting Max to act as a rewire host (so feeding MIDI into Max which in its turn fed it into a VST).

Even Reason, which is very strict when it comes to MIDI (even responds to the "openpanel" message if sent into the rewire~ object, Live just ignores that); but I had no luck with sending MIDI. Not even when done manually (message object with "midi 0 0 144 100 128").

Alas; see the patch below. It works quite nice when used in slave mode, but the other way around… note; doesn’t include code for the midi part but this patch is bound to trigger Live in rewire slave mode. I’ll see if I can find my test code this evening, but in the mean time hope this can give some ideas too…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 30, 2012 | 10:43 am

Thank you so much for the reply and your patch..I have tried the patch but it didn’t work also. But, I have solved my problem to develop a synth (similar as to an Ableton synth) in Max without using Ableton. Thank you again… :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)