send~ symbol in use

May 19, 2009 at 5:07pm

send~ symbol in use

i’m getting errors like this in the max window:

send~: send1: symbol in use

where send1 is a send name that is dynamically allocated in a poly~. i think it happens quite often that more than more than one send ends up with the same name, but most of the time this works fine, it’s just occasionally that it starts giving these errors, which make everything run very slow. also i can’t reproduce the error in a simpler patch to work out exactly what causes it. does anyone know? thanks.

May 19, 2009 at 6:33pm

Sounds like the symbol is being used for something else. Are you sure all the send~s are send~s and not plain sends?

May 20, 2009 at 10:16am

Also note that if you have a buffer~ named send1, or an sflist~, or any other kind of object that binds to a symbol, you will also block other usages.

You might want to open up your patches in a text editor and grep through for all usages of send1 (or strings that might be used to generate the symbol ‘send1′) and make sure you are not binding that symbol to different kinds of object.

Martin’s right, though, that the most common mistake is to use both send/receive and send~/receive~ with the same symbol.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:39pm

hello,
my problem may have something to do with this.
If I have a buffer~ named “tizio”, create a send/receive object and give it the same name I get the message “newobj: tizio: already exists”.
If the s/r is created before buffer~ I get crashes… Sad

What do I do that is obviously wrong?

thanks!

t

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:12am

You can’t give the [send] and [receive] the same name as your [buffer~]. Try using something different.

lh

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.