Forums > MaxMSP

sends in poly~

October 31, 2010 | 10:01 am

howdy!

if I have a send in a patch (let’s call it "sendpatch"), and then I have 5 of them via poly (so poly~ sendpatch 5),

does poly number those sends for each instance?

or, if not, what does poly do with those sends? Does each instance have the same send?

thanks!

October 31, 2010 | 10:59 am

> does poly number those sends for each instance?

No.

> or, if not, what does poly do with those sends?

Nothing.

> Does each instance have the same send?

Tricky question. Each instance has a it’s own unique send. A send/receive pair can basically be understood as a patch chord, which is not actually drawn. This allows to easily connect across the boundary of sub patches and poly~’s. If you require unique sends for each poly, you could use the forward object instead. Does this cover the issue?

_
johan

October 31, 2010 | 12:16 pm

Each instance of poly~ has a index number so if you give eveny receive object in the poly~ that same number (see helpfile how to do this) you can address every poly~ separate. Not very difficult to do.

October 31, 2010 | 12:35 pm

If you want to have a uniquely named [send] in each instance of your [poly~] subpatch I would recommend some combination of [thispoly~] to get the instance number, [sprintf] for formatting, and [forward] to do the sending.

lh

October 31, 2010 | 8:45 pm

or [thispoly~] for the number, prepend it to your [send] messages, then route out the index at the other end.

October 31, 2010 | 9:12 pm

Hey everybody -

thanks, looks good. I suppose the heart of my question was to find out if there was some nifty way of having individual sends in a poly~ self-define, without having to address/define the sends myself. I kind of expected one could not, which is fine.

-thom

November 1, 2010 | 12:50 pm

I would rather use a #0 prefix for the send/receive name. This will be substituted with a _unique_ id number per subpatch/poly-instance.
With the instance number approach you might run into trouble when using multiple poly objects, as there will be multiple instances with the same instance number.

Using #0 is also a cleaner solution, as you can directly use it in the arguments.
for example:

[send #0-var1]
[receive #0-var1]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)