Forums > MaxMSP

seq or detonate?

April 14, 2013 | 10:03 am

Hi list,
does detonate (or seq) support time signature change???
I need to work with a midi file, choosing a specific bar which have a
specific time signature.
Thanks
fv

April 14, 2013 | 1:40 pm

"choosing a bar" is probably for both objects already asked too much.

you could try using [filein] and search for byte FF 58 followed by a word 04 to read the signature. not sure how to find best at which time it occurs, or how to make us of that data later in [seq] or [detonate]

as long as the midi file is format 1 it should be possible to create a custom formatted tempo map (including tempo and signature changes , as long as they appear on MTrk 2 and above) from it within maxmsp for the use in maxmsp, but i dont have an example ready.

April 14, 2013 | 5:02 pm

Thanks, I’m trying yo use [detonate] with seq~… It strange there is not possible to choice the start point in terms of bars.

April 14, 2013 | 6:23 pm

Detonate uses absolute timing (milliseconds) and doesn’t know anything about bars.
But you can calculate milliseconds from bars (beats) and tempo (BPM).

1 beat = 60000/BPM milliseconds

Then skip all entries of detonate until the sum of delta times reaches the start time.

April 14, 2013 | 7:49 pm

Thanks broc.

April 19, 2013 | 9:40 am

Unfortunately, it seems to be not possible skipping from a start point to another one!

Is there any object which allows to start at a precise point in a midi file?????

April 19, 2013 | 2:26 pm

Have a look at the ‘bach’ project.

http://www.bachproject.net/

It provides a powerful set of objects for automatic composition including import/export of midi files. In particular it allows setting the start point of playback, eg. ‘play(3)’ will start at bar 3.

April 21, 2013 | 7:44 am

Thanks I will try it. It’s very strange there is no possibility to start from a point in a midi sequence with seq or detonate…

April 22, 2013 | 9:37 am

There has been an external called [SeqPlayer] for playing midi files, that allowed to define ‘in and ‘out points and therefore loop type 0.
I think Eric L Singer is the author.
It is still working for Intel …

I assume there is no objection if I post it here:

Attachments:
  1. SeqPlayer2.2.zip

April 24, 2013 | 12:20 pm

Thanks ctrlzjones,
that’s prefect!!! I had never heard of it.
Best
fv

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)