serial handshaking

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:35am

serial handshaking

does anyone know of any tools to debug the serial port connection process? i’m using an arduino-based button matrix i’ve built to spit dmx/artnet out of max.

on my Mac machine, both Max6 and the arduino software read the device with 0 problems.

on windows however (small win7 netbook with max because i don’t want some retard throwing water on my nice computeR), the arduino software reads the serial port fine, and max doesn’t. the arduino seems to just go into a dead state when i use [serial c 57600], as if something isn’t getting sent correctly.

any ideas?

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:21am

make sure you’re talking to the correct serial port. it won’t be the same letter/COM port on both machines. Use the print message to the serial object to see what port it is on.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:50am

it’s definitely the right one. the status LEDs on the controller i made take a few seconds to come on after you power up the arduino, since there’s code switch panel modes and it won’t see them until it boots.

when you make a [serial c 57600] object, it tries to connect to the arduino but all the LEDs go out and it doesn’t connect properly. usually on connection (and with mac) the LEDs will be off for a second and then pop back on when the connection is good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.