Forums > Gen

Seting something straight, before buying gen and Max

June 11, 2014 | 6:16 pm

hi there,

as the title suggest Im about to get lured into buying the pack, mostly because of the sale offer. What Id like to know is this :

by using gen, I can dissassemble my visual product in gen to native C++, take it to my grandpas laptop, with old 60s polka music, build it there, and rock my convolution reverb as was built in gen back at home ??

kind regards for your responses !

June 11, 2014 | 6:38 pm

Not with Polka.

June 11, 2014 | 7:22 pm

lives are at stake here !! no kidding. Lets say Autechre instead of Polka.

June 11, 2014 | 8:09 pm

by using gen, I can dissassemble my visual product in gen to native C++, take it to my grandpas laptop, with old 60s polka music, build it there, and rock my convolution reverb as was built in gen back at home ??

hi,
I haven’t exported any gen patcher to C++ code(isn’t it C? always confusing these sorry.). This should be possible as far as I know. I don’t know if it’s neccessary to say but gen has a limited set of objects, you can’t simply convert a max patch.
What I’ve done is patch shaders in gen and export GLSL. Some work on the output code was needed to get it running but then it worked like a charm.

June 12, 2014 | 4:49 am

woyteg, thanks for the answer. Clears up the video part of the question I had. I presume shader part is also "limited" in gen, compared to Max?

June 12, 2014 | 3:35 pm

I’m a bit too lazy now to give you a really good answer but it’s like this:
You have three objects in max: [gen~], [jit.gl.pix] and another one i never used.
All of these are like subpatchers. In there, you have a different (slightly poorly documented) set of low level operators.
Gen~ is great for building filters etc. It is pure awesomness. After editing it actually converts to code, compiles that on the fly and therefore is quite efficient. You can export things as code(never did that).
More or less the same is true for jit.gl.pix which actually is building fragment shaders(no vertex or geo shaders for now! ); ) Here we also have a (different) limited set of OPs.

June 13, 2014 | 6:23 pm

thanks very much woyteg. that helped a lot !! i went and bought both.

cheers for taking the time !

June 13, 2014 | 6:26 pm

well happy patching!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)