Forums > MaxMSP

Setting Ranges from Accelerometer data for Ableton in Max (Nubie)

February 9, 2013 | 6:10 pm

Hello Everyone this is my first post! :) I’ve searched for the answer to my question elsewhere on this form and youtube and could not find a satisfying answer.
I have done this very quickly and simply using Isadora, but must translate the logic of my Isadora patch into Max/MSP out of necessity. Also I cannot use Max for Live in this particular case. :)
Here is my objective:

-Input Midi Control from iPod’s Y accelerometer data into Max/Msp 6 (I have this part figured out, yay!)
-smooth the incoming data (don’t know exactly how to use "smoother~" just yet)
-set 4 min max ranges: (I am guessing to use "minmax~" but don’t know if this is the best object)
0-31
31-63
64-95
96-127

If active midi value is between 0-31 send midi note value c1 once to ableton
If active midi value is between 31-63 send midi note value c#1 once to ableton
If active midi value is between 64-95 send midi note value d1 once to ableton
If active midi value is between 96-127 send midi note value D#1 once to ableton
(This is my main challenge right now, though I have the "sending midi to ableton" just fine right now, its the "setting up the ranges" and "if midi control value is in range then send midi note" thing that I am having the hard time with. )

So my questions are:
-What objects are best suited for this function?

I hope this makes sense, like I said I’ve done this before in Isadroa, but am completely new to the max/msp language. I hope someone could help this aspiring max coder !^*^! Thanks, AHEE

February 10, 2013 | 12:20 am

These are some objects that come to mind: scale, zmap, slide, split, if, . Remember, you can always alt/option + click on an object to open an example.

Hope this helps!
-Nate

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

February 11, 2013 | 7:32 am

Thank you so much Nate! I had no idea someone would help me with such an amazing starting point! I think I’m beginning to understand it! Time to explore max/msp some more. :D

Have a good day!
-AHEE

February 11, 2013 | 8:40 am

Just a quick note: objects ending with ~ are MSP objects (they only accept audio signals). For MIDI data you’ll need Max objects. For smoothing data input, [slide] should come in help.
Also, have a look at the Max Tutorials, they should give all the answers to your needs (simple math, midi routing, etc.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)