sfplay~ multichannel file length limits

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:57pm

sfplay~ multichannel file length limits

Hi list,

I have trouble loading large multichannel files into sfplay~

For example, i can load a 10min 18 channel file, but not 15mins or above. Using macbook pro, max 5.

Does anyone know how to calculate the maximum length of a multichannel file to be played back in sfplay~? Or is there no limit and I’m missing something……

If attempting to playing back lengthy multichannel works for concert presentation, is it best to have a number of sfplay~ objects and to trigger one after the other as the piece progresses..?

An suggestions much appreciated.

dr

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:21am

If I recall, Mac OSX has a file size limit of around 2 GB, so depending on the sample rate, bit rate, number of channels, and time length, is it possible you’re exceeding this limit? Just an idea…

Jun 15, 2010 at 2:05am

Thanks Steven. I think you’re quite right. Seems 2GB limit stands with 5.1.x.

Cheers

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:55am

Quite a while ago i dropped Max (4.6 and 5) completely for multichannel audiofile playback using sfplay~ because of problems discussed here (and elsewhere): http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=18251
For reliable playback of multichannel files i always use Bidule now. Use OSC if you want to make your own interface in Max communicating with Bidule or use Bidule-VST inside Max. And there is a 64bit version for windows users as well…

best
stefan

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:29pm

Thanks for the tip stefan, this works well.

David

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.