sfplay~ "pos" message for scrubbing disk audio files

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:10pm

sfplay~ "pos" message for scrubbing disk audio files

Buried in the umenu help file, in [p autopopulate], is an example with sfplay~ and a playback bar. It sends “pos 0. to 1.” to sfplay~ and this sets the playback position over the entire piece. It can be useful for scrubbing or jumping around instead of using seek and msec points, or using play~ etc, if you want to read from disk instead of a buffer~. Also interesting is that sending “pos” messages will update the playback bar even if it’s not directly connected to the sfplay~, which seemed strange. The message wasn’t documented anywhere I could find.

The playback bar claims to only control movies, so is this wrong, or does sfplay~ handle files as a sort of movie? Either way, it wasn’t obvious that it could be used for this. Not that I’m complaining, it’s already been handy…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jun 1, 2009 at 3:42pm

Hi

That’s great, but it doesn’t work with cues!

With cues, in max window we can read:

sfplay~ — seek: no open file

But this could be a great feature to sfplay!

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:17pm

cues work fine here, you can still do the “pos” message for scrubbing or jumping around. XP, 5.0.7

Jun 1, 2009 at 5:10pm

Hi again

I’m trying to use an message [pos $1] with in an patch I’m building.

Please, see if work on your computer.

Open zip
copy folder to your disk (all files)
open TSC_a.maxpat
drop some files into Audio Files
hit play button on any player

try to scrub -> Max windows sfplay seek: no open file

The players.maxpat is the one with the scrubing bar!

BTW, I’m using Max 5.0.7
Thanks!

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:28pm

Nice one. I modded it to make the play button work. Unfortunately, it looses track of the position on the playbar when you hit pause. Also, it relies on the state of a toggle, which is lame.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jun 19, 2009 at 3:22am

thanks for posting this, i’ve just added it to a patch for an assessment performance next week!

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:45am

How about this? Works the same as the quicktime playbar but you can add your own bits as well, much more fun.

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:57am

sweet, that’s even better!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.