Forums > MaxMSP

sfrecord stop problem on multifile recording (50 trks)…Max hangs…

April 4, 2014 | 9:25 pm

Happens on MaxMSP 6.1.6, 32 or 64 bit.
Max hangs on stop transport command, after recording.
Open the patch…it’s all inside
Any idea?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
  • This topic was modified 4 months by  keepsound.

April 5, 2014 | 1:23 am

sorry for stupid question, but did you wait long enough ?… maybe it’s an expensive process that requires some time ?
alternately, did you try to have the sfrecords in poly~ with @parallel 1 ? this might be lighter
although the problem is more likely one of hard drive access speed
or maybe something else
that said, i can reproduce (osx 10.6.8 max 616)

April 5, 2014 | 5:23 am

Hi, many thanx for your answer.
I don’t tryed with poly yet…I’ll do it today.
My HD is fast enough, it works well with Reaper, recording 64 tracks…
During the Max hang, files are increasing in size, that means that the stop command would not be received to all files at the same time, so you get (and that’s casual) 15 files stopped and the other increasing and wasting space and time. It seems more a cpu problem, on my mbp (dual duo with 8 gb ram), the cpu runs between 15 and 20%…but I think that’s normal with this large amount of recording tracks…
I’ll let you know…

April 5, 2014 | 8:06 am

Ok, I’ve created the new patch with the sfrecorder inside a Poly obj. Here’s the patch.
I get the same results, with Max hanging sometimes (the most of them…), in 32 and 64 bit mode.
I’ve also created a standalone of this project and run it on another minimac with a i7 processor and 16Gb of ram, and the hanging problem (of the standalone app, not Max directly), is the same.

Load and save first the recorder patch for the Poly obj, then the second (main) patch,as a project where you have added the first patch:

April 5, 2014 | 4:54 pm

Now, I’ve tryed this way just to do a test, but this is not the right way to build the process I need. That only because with a Poly obj you create 50 audio tracks with the same signal input, this means you get 50 identical tracks…but I need 50 different tracks. The purpouse is to create a application for a live virtual sound check, or a simple recording tool in musical live environments. I can do everything with ProTools (limited to 32 tracks in the standard, non HD, version), or Reaper, Cubase, Nuendo etc… Many of them are expensive (not Reaper of course, and I just using it), and I need to use my app…

• This reply was modified 4 months by  keepsound.

April 5, 2014 | 5:17 pm

Ohhhhh…..maybe I’ve resolved…(see picture). During audio recording, max or the standalone, is in high priority state. A (1) recording start command goes to the objects during a low priority state, but a (0) stop command has to send to the same objects during a high priority state. This can happen during a little instant and occupy a interval, and it works, but in the most cases that can’t be happen, so you have to force this moment simply with a deferlow commmand after the Stop command and before the 0 sending. Now it works, it seems always…

Attachments:
  1. Schermata-2014-04-06-a-02.07.44

April 5, 2014 | 7:12 pm

wow nice
though the side effect is that the stoping process takes some time, and the latest files to get stoped weigh slightly more thatn the first ones (difference of circa 80 Ko here : shortest file is 426 Ko, file n. 50 is 504 Ko)
but it’s a lesser bad i guess

April 5, 2014 | 9:28 pm

Yes, that’s true, the files becomes different lenghts, but that’s not important, important is that every file is starting at the same point and each in synch with each other.
But that the files have then different lenghts, is the symptom that they don’t receive the stop command at the same time…

April 5, 2014 | 9:33 pm

Another way to record a lot of audio files togheter, is to create a multichannel audio file. You can do that adding the channel number to the name of the sfrecord obj, like, sfrecord 48…but there’s a dimension limitation to 2 Gb….48 channels at 2Gb amount at ca. 5 minutes of audio at 48 KHz, 24 bit…too less, I have to record minimum 2 hours of a live concert, so the single file method is the only one usable.

April 6, 2014 | 5:05 am

If you have access to it, you could use spat.sfrecord~ (distributed with Ircam’s Spat through http://forumnet.ircam.fr), which is optimized for large multichannel files and supports WAV RF64 for files larger than 4 GB.

April 6, 2014 | 6:52 am

Hi Tcarpent, thanks a lot for your help. Yes I have access to the ircam pages, but the Spat will cost 120€ and at this moment I cannot afford this cost….

April 6, 2014 | 7:10 pm

furthermore, if i’m not mistaken, sfrecord~ only supports max 16 channels audio files atm :/

April 6, 2014 | 8:28 pm

Hi, I’ve tryed it out: it records 48 channels.

April 7, 2014 | 4:39 am

oh!..documentation says otherwise…

April 7, 2014 | 6:40 am

Oh yes, they say…but’s not right! But it doesn’t work with more than 48 trks, and the max size of the file is still 2,15 Gb (like a mono audio file…and that’s an error for me…)
See here, and try to build a 50 trks file…

• This reply was modified 4 months by  keepsound.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)