Forums > Misc

[Shameless SelfPlug] Raja's new spaceship console: ~SerpentEclipse)

September 15, 2010 | 1:52 am

…C74 probably wouldn’t want me to post this in projects since it’s just for me right now, but figured i’d share here?
(feel free to delete this post if it’s inappropriate)

Looks like, for the first time in my life, my Max/MSP knowledge actually amounted to something which I can actually be proud of(because it amounts to helping me directly with my music and artistic performance and has already generated some interest from other people in that).
So I feel I owe a special thanks to the people who directly made it happen by some form of guidance/teaching/encouragement or another: first and foremost, my teacher, Tom Erbe(he’s had so many FAR greater students with FAR more potential but he still took the time to help a pitiful fool like me whenever I asked for it). and also Eric Lyon, Vlad Spears, Jack A. Perkins, Chris Core(theman_361), Tim LLoyd, Jeremy Bernstein, Joshua Kit Clayton, David Zicarelli, Miller Puckette, Barry Threw, Chris Muir, Gregory Taylor, Luke Dubois, Alex Harker, Alexander Duschnock(pizza_olives?), Vanille Bechamel, Michele Verita, Stephan Tiedje, Randy Jones, Comfortable In Clouds(name?), Matthew Aidekman, Luke Hall, seejayjames(name?), Roman Thilenius, Mike S, Brendan McCloskey, Ben Bracken, Les Stuck, Arun Mitra(Noob4Life), Matthew Davidson(Stretta), Brian Crabtree and… well… EVERYONE else here because I’m sure at the very least, whenever I’ve posted here, the interaction helped me to motivate to some extent, at some point or another. I’m sure I’ve spelled so many names wrong: apologies in advance. And most of you I’ve never really met in person, but I’m thankful for your influence, anyways so I hope you don’t mind my gratuitous name-dropping.

I’m feeling much better now about things despite a ridiculous amount of personal troubles with employment, angry neighbors, racist strangers, abusive police officers, a severely dysfunctional family, and so many other things you really don’t need to hear about, the future finally looks bright to me: "everything’s finally comin’ up Milhouse!"(-Simpsons)

I will still try not to bother this community too much beyond this with my self-absorbed twattiness, but for those who might enjoy it, here is a video of my new app and weapon-of-choice, ~SerpentEclipse), not the best performance, as the description says, i’m still an alien recruit in training but it makes me happier than anything else i’ve ever created when i play it, so I humbly submit it for your perusal/enjoyment and hope it does not bore the more advanced experts and well-versed composers too much:

http://www.vimeo.com/14955241

also featured the same day it was posted on the front page of monome.org
(thanks again go to my friend Brian Crabtree)

and just for fun, some extra artwork by me(formatted and blessed by Vlad Spears) is attached.

-Raja The Resident Alien

[attachment=141602,1134] [attachment=141602,1135]

Attachments:
  1. RenegadeLights7_1024x768.jpg

September 15, 2010 | 3:09 am

wow.

EDIT
/zero sarcasm… You just mother-f@#$%# wowed me.

September 15, 2010 | 5:31 am

Thanks so much, Matt! I truly appreciate that.

All the best.

September 15, 2010 | 6:59 am

Nice one, Raja!

September 15, 2010 | 7:36 am

Thanks so much, Josh, that means the world to me!

September 15, 2010 | 10:15 am

Ace! I’ve been thinking about why controllers aren’t more ‘space age’ there’s a whole world of stuff you could conceive and create. Great groove as well :)

Send it to CDM e-friend

September 15, 2010 | 3:58 pm

@raja

You are well on your way(guru!guru!).
(and sorry I use your comp and end up getting you in trouble, dhadha)

September 15, 2010 | 7:28 pm

Thanks cuz!

@Mike S
Thanks alot, so glad you like it! I’ll definitely hit Peter Kirn/CDM up later once I’ve got more performances and perhaps an album under my belt… in case you’re interested, though, you can also check out one of my tracks already posted at the bottom of a CDM article here about the monome tour:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/08/27/monome-community-tour/

Thanks again All!

September 15, 2010 | 7:48 pm

there is no other option but to continue beeing creative and communicative.
it is not part of the problem, it is the cure.

September 15, 2010 | 10:41 pm

Good work!

September 16, 2010 | 2:06 am

@Roman
so true, i’ll keep that in mind: live and learn.

@Alex
Thanks!

September 17, 2010 | 5:30 pm

Nice work Raja!! Definitely some serious Battlestar Galactica console action there!

September 17, 2010 | 5:47 pm

Not only is the music great, and the controller really interesting and fun to watch, but its also clear you really have spent an a lot of time experimenting and playing with your controller – it shows. Really impressive. I think recruit is the wrong rank here.

Thought. Put some small cheap black and white (or color) video cameras positioned so they float looking over different portions of the controller, add some simple effects and a cheap and easy to wire switch for the cameras and you have your video too. Route it into a VJ app (or Jitter :) . Would be very compelling to just use different macro shots of the controller, lights and your hands as the source for video. Anyway, just thinking aloud since the static shot of you performing was so compelling already, something with a bit of polish could add tremendously.

Lovely.

September 17, 2010 | 5:52 pm

Dan, I really appreciate it, Thanks!

and to everyone here, i didn’t expect this thread to stay alive for so long: i know the music is not representative of this community and its potential, plus it’s one of my first humble practice runs to prepare for some gigs so it honors me that you’d all bother to show so much support… thank you, All! I truly appreciate the generosity and kindness!

EDIT: Thanks so much, Vade! I will definitely try those ideas. I’m truly flattered by your enjoyment of the music. Perhaps ‘recruit’ is not the best word, but I’d like to remain modest and eager-to-improve during these early stages ’til I’ve really honed it ;)

September 17, 2010 | 5:56 pm

Modest is good, but don’t be afraid to every now and then admit to yourself you’re awesome. Personally I try to do it every once in a while, ha ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)