[share] 7 xy coordinate controls from one 3-button mouse

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:57am

[share] 7 xy coordinate controls from one 3-button mouse

Hi all

Needed to read right & middle mouse buttons for a project, so I finally got around to digging into the hi object – and realized that by holding down various combinations of the 3 buttons, I could send mouse coordinates to 7 different locations.

The patch uses accum objects to gather up momentary xy mouse movement, and the int objects under the pictsliders are there so that coordinates of each mouse click begin at previous location.

Tested with a Macally 3-button mouse. Works fine. Unfortunately Apple USB mouse only reads one button at a time, so the combos don’t work. Not sure which mouse behavior is more common.

Also wondering if there’s any way to disable the contextual Edit menu that comes up when the right button is released.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:26pm

–> Also wondering if there’s any way to disable the contextual Edit menu that comes up when the right button is released. < --

Not sure about the button part, but you can do a lot of customization by editing maxinterface.json in the Interfaces folder of the Max 5 application. Carefully… with a backup of the original, of course.

I like adding “Hide on Lock” and “Show on Lock” to the contextual menus, among other things. I don’t know how to intercept the right-click, or the mousewheel, or whether these can even be intercepted to do other things (like make the mousewheel zoom instead of scroll the window, for example). The defaults make a lot of sense though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.