Forums > Misc

[sharing] an OSC server plugin to control your Max patches from a classic DAW

February 17, 2013 | 1:51 pm

Hello,
I wrote a small VST plugin that allows you to send OSC messages directly from your DAW.
You setup the destination, select the min/max/steps values directly in the VST GUI and the value of the message is sent accordingly (scaling the automation curve in your DAW).
If someone is interested in testing it you can download the VST (windows) on this webpage : http://peter1island.com/technicalStuff/audio-plugin/vst2osc-rtas2osc.php
Unfortunately I don’t own a mac so I haven’t been able to provide an AU or mac VST version, if someone is interested in I’ll upload soon a new version of the sources
The project is very young and I’m a composer, not a C++ coder, so every feedback is very welcome.
All the best,
Matthieu / Err0r_500

February 20, 2013 | 2:46 pm

Hey Matthieu,

Great job there. I haven’t tested your VST yet (but rest assured, I’ll do that soon), but as for the Mac version, you might consider using Juce. Juce is a "cross-platform" framework for C++, that allows you to use the same code to compile applications for Windows, Mac and Linux. It is something like "Java for C++", if you know what I mean. I am not an experienced C++ programmer either, but I believe that Juce good help you with the "cross-platform" issue (which I believe is something that really bothers a lot of Max users and developers).

Keep up the great job, and I’ll give you some feedback as soon as I have some.

All the best,

February 20, 2013 | 5:18 pm

Hey,
Thanks a lot! Actually, I do use Juce for my plugin but I was assuming I’d need a Mac box anyway to be able to compile the plugin for mac… I’ll check that! Thanks again
Matthieu

February 21, 2013 | 1:33 am

btw, Max is programmed in Juce :) (afaik)

February 21, 2013 | 1:54 pm

I compiled it for mac: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33721778/vst2osc.vst.zip

the au doesn’t validate for some reason, but the vst version appears to work

February 21, 2013 | 2:57 pm

Hehe, I just found out about Max being programmed in Juce a little while after I posted here…
Anyway, I think this kind of tools are quite useful to have and sometimes can save you from quite some effort.
Cheers all.

February 21, 2013 | 3:22 pm

Wow! Totally unexpected… Thank you so much Oli!
I had to finish a project in emergency and didn’t find the time to create a new, clean archive with the new version of the sources…
Now it’s done : http://peter1island.com/files/vst2osc.zip [direct link to the sources]
The fixed bugs (or at least they’re supposed to be) :
you don’t have to open the vst before it starts sending messages (for instance when you load a project it’s already in)
when using multiple instance of the plugin, every instance actually sends messages with the address… with the first version messages were sent kind of everywhere! :)

@… @vichug I also heard Max was coded using Juce… that’s almost what finally decided me to use it (Juce, not Max). :)

February 21, 2013 | 8:11 pm

Hey – this looks really useful! Thanks Err0r_500, and thanks Oli for porting it (I’m on a Mac). Oli – nice to ‘see’ you on here!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)