Forums > MaxMSP

[sharing is fascist] One DAW track…display

April 4, 2009 | 12:20 am

So the other day I got so frustrated and angry with not being able to leave PT hit max and go back to PT. That I started this. I can add to it if people are interested but I just don’t have time to go ballistic on another useless max project that doesn’t bring me fame fortune or inner peace. I’d like to add grid mode and copy paste. It’s very prototype-ish. I admit that right here but that could change. Only took me a day to write.

I would love to see someone write a patch/js/mxj that interprets the output and works with global transport.

let me know if it works….

http://i42.tinypic.com/i78w9f.jpg

April 4, 2009 | 2:08 am

ps. just in case anyone didn’t understand. This is proof of concept that could be easily reworked to be extremely useful. Those waveform objects are deleted and re instantiated at every step, that’s an easy hurdle to overcome as well as many other things.

I guess the point is, it’s more then workable. And while plenty of people say don’t reinvent the wheel, I think this sort of object would be very useful to quite a few people… think of it as a waveform~ object for playlists.

April 4, 2009 | 7:28 am

Very cool. Hvent had time to check it out but something like this makes me even more impatient for what we can do with max for Live. for instance from what ive read we shoul dhave access to most of the ableton Clip ( timestretch ) properties which would allow us to use all that ableton wizardry with this.

April 6, 2009 | 11:51 am

hello,

very good project you have. only have a question, it is possible to have SNAP TO GRID?

thanks

Luis Marques

April 6, 2009 | 7:44 pm

Now it does. and a delete region tool

April 7, 2009 | 6:21 am

Last Time I promise

improved graphics by 50 fold, ability to set contents of display. ability to set selection from outside.

http://www.filedropper.com/dawtrack_1

April 7, 2009 | 8:42 am

This last link doesn’t work for me, I keep getting the following error message:

Gateway Timeout

The following error occurred:
[code=GATEWAY_TIMEOUT] A gateway timeout occurred. The server is unreachable. Retry the request.

Please contact the administrator.

April 7, 2009 | 9:12 am

hi,

This is getting better each time. Can the LCD object be programmed to fit any BPM?

Thanks

Luis Marques

April 7, 2009 | 12:51 pm

Will rehost soon…

as for bpm:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 7, 2009 | 2:00 pm

rehosted as requested,
includes selection bug fix
bpm calc
http://estatesound.com/maxdaw/DAWTRACK.zip

April 7, 2009 | 2:13 pm

prettier link

April 11, 2009 | 9:15 pm

just curious if anyone did anything w/ this. because… ahem… I wanna see! Very Happy

April 11, 2009 | 10:26 pm

Hey Mat, I spent some time getting your DAW track to work but
the patch is a little hard to understand. The UI makes
it a little hard to navigate things. But I was able to
figure most of it and it seems to work well.

The only problem I found was that sometimes the assignment
popup window seems get stuck and not disappear. I am running
Max on Vista.

I think this is a great first step. I definitely see this being a
very useful UI component. Once I make a bunch of clips, is there a
way I can then play them all back?

April 11, 2009 | 11:23 pm

This seems like an interesting project. At the moment it requires too much click and typing to get the clips into the timeline but it is a good start. Key commands would be easy to add. For me, it would need to have some sort of drag and drop if I had any interesting using it live. I may play around with expanding development on it in a few months if/when I have more time on my hadns.

Anthony Palomba wrote on Sat, 11 April 2009 18:26
The only problem I found was that sometimes the assignment
popup window seems get stuck and not disappear. I am running
Max on Vista.

This bug happens on OS X 10.5.6 as well (Max 5.0.6).

In general, I question the usefulness whenever I hear people bring up (on this forum or in person) the idea of creating a DAW in Max as it would be slow and to really match the functionality of some other DAWs, it would probably take tons of work. That being said, the ability to arrange clips on in a track like this would have a lot of nice uses in Max outside of creating a full blown DAW. Great start!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)