[Sharing is feeding back] What goes around…and around…and around…

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:43pm

[Sharing is feeding back] What goes around…and around…and around…

Nothing too clever, but I was messing around with feedback and came up with this, howling, droning Karplusing, auto-bass lining thing.

Load a drum loop, hit a preset, adjust input level, and feed right back.

What you get depends a lot on the input source – try a four-on-the-floor 808 loop for instant Trance gratification! Dub beats work well too…
Cheers
Roger

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:22am

Here’s a much improved Max 6 version, that uses a couple of Peter McCulloch’s filters and sah~ triggering from his wonderful ‘transient designer’ patch – Peter, that thing is genius, as are your filters!
Cheer
Roger

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 26, 2012 at 2:15pm

mmmmmmm

very tasty Roger, loads of variation and textures from an ostensibly simple algorithm; I’m getting a “no such object: pause~” but it seems to work OK (Max 5.1.9) except for the sah stepping.

Brendan

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:35pm

Hi brandan,
pause~ is simply an abstraction containing a tapin-tapout pair to prevent feedback blowups. I thought I’d replaced it in the second version.
Incidentally, the second version should work fine in Max 5, except that the PM.ladder filter wont be available,
Cheers
Roger

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:03pm

Cool patch thanks for letting us check it out, also the scale~ object is not in 5 either – just wanted to let you know

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:13pm

Thanks.
Scale~ is only used for the PM.ladder filter, which doesn’t work in Max 5 anyway, so no loss there.
Incidentally, scale~ seems to have changed it’s behaviour somewhere along the line, as I was baffled by that part of the patch working fine on one machine but not the other until i updated to the latest version of Max.
Such a shame there’s no equivalent to PM.ladder in Max 5 – it’s one bitchin’ filter!
Cheers
Roger

PS. Oh what the Hell, I can’t stop playing with this; here’s a version with a step modulator, which considerably improves it’s potential as an auto-bassline tool. I haven’t updated the presets to match, but setting the modulation source of the delay and/or filter to ‘step’, and playing with the multislider should get you where you want to go.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:21pm

“Oh what the Hell, I can’t stop playing with this”

If you discover an antidote please let me know; I’ve posted about ten different versions of my granulator(s) online…..sigh

Brendan

Apr 29, 2012 at 7:14pm

Fun stuff, Roger.

@Brendan: I’d like to check it out. Can you post it to the projects page?

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:42am

Certainly Peter; I’m flat out at the minute with some overdue PhD stuff, so
gimme a day or two and I’ll put up the most recent incarnation….

Brendan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.