[sharing is fun] dancing stick man

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:58pm

[sharing is fun] dancing stick man

After doing a show using a Milkdrop preset that affectionately became known as Scatman, I decided to reconstruct the little dancing dude in Jitter. This is the result. I hope someone can have a bit of fun playing with him, but more importantly I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas on how I’ve implemented this. Does it seem the most obvious/efficient way to do this? Would love to see if anyone can come up with alternative implementations. Is some GLSL possible in anyway?

Comes in 2 parts – a js file and the patch. Enjoy!

DiGiTaLFX

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:00pm

OK I’ve just attached the files as a ZIP, as the forum obv doesn’t deal very well with JavaScript. Also included a quick screen grab too.

DiGiTaLFX

Attachments:
  1. scatman.png
Aug 12, 2011 at 4:16pm

Hey! thanks for sharing.
The first optimization that comes to mind is to use java instead of javascript as the porting would be quite straight. Imagine a whole hall with lots of these nice dancing fellas ;-)< -instancing would be much better in java-land!

In regards the shader, maybe something can be done with a fragment pair, but as you can see most of the data need to be retrieved into jitter matrices so I would suggest to stick to it without touching the gpu. Maybe a nice phong shading would make the fella look cutter!

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:28pm

Well ok I guess I realise that java performs better than JavaScript (can’t wait for Max 6), but I was more thinking in terms of optimising the OpenGL side of things and not the Max side of things. For example could a vertex shader be used to move the verticies rather than continually pushing a new matrix to the gpu for each frame?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.