Forums > MaxMSP

[sharing is fun] Max5patch I think it came out kinda cool.

May 9, 2008 | 10:27 am

Started off as me picking through some posted samples on the list. It came out kind of interesting, resets itself ever 16 bars.

Finally, after 6 months of climbing the Max hill, and a few ah-ha! moments, I think I came up with something cool with no samples. :)

Feedback appreciated.

May 9, 2008 | 11:47 am

Cool, but dare i say it, but-ugly ;-)
I think one of Peter Elsea’s tutorials covers making
patches more readable/presentable to others – perhaps
that’s the next Max hillock you should get your
climbing boots on for ?
cheers
Roger

— Don K wrote:

> Started off as me picking through some posted
> samples on the list. It came out kind of
> interesting, resets itself ever 16 bars.
>
> Finally, after 6 months of climbing the Max hill,
> and a few ah-ha! moments, I think I came up with
> something cool with no samples. :)
>
> Feedback appreciated.
>
> –
> -DonK
>

Eli
May 9, 2008 | 1:06 pm

Yes, that is one hideous Max patch.
Along with being functional and interesting, programming (since a little after it’s conception) should be easily read (and understood)by others. It took me a while to really grasp that concept and to want to strive for easily readable coding, but it makes a lot of sense:

People can work off your programming and give you feedback-make it as simple as possible and generic-people work very differently than you might.

It might be used by programmers in the future- If it is overly complicated then it might not be, however functional it is.

The patch I include is of a synth I made a long time ago (obsolete because of poly~) with a very clean, neat GUI. Take a look at that for reference.

Eli
May 9, 2008 | 1:08 pm

OOPS. Here’s the file.

May 9, 2008 | 6:31 pm

wow!

this patch is begging for presentation mode.

and subpatchers.

and more than one [[loadbang]]

it sounds really nice though!

May 9, 2008 | 6:43 pm

I think I might actually clean this one up and make it more uasable.
It’s a HUGE mess and a great example of how not to patch. :)
I took little bits here and there from the posts here. Believe it or not, it was originally going to be a robotic fart noise maker/drum machine, but I went nuts with oscillators and a spider on LSD style of patching. It’s just a sketch…I’m not normally so messy. I’ll clean it up and repost.

I also noticed that I have a tap object here or there, so you may not be hearing the reverb.

May 9, 2008 | 6:50 pm

I couldn’t open the file on OSX.
I understand about other users…I know I’ve learned from picking apart patches and love when the programmer is organized. This was more like a flow of thought experimentation sketch. I think of it as a one trick pony, but I will clean it up for anyone learning Max to see what’s going on under the hood.

Quote: Eli wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 06:06
—————————————————-
> Yes, that is one hideous Max patch.
> Along with being functional and interesting, programming (since a little after it’s conception) should be easily read (and understood)by others. It took me a while to really grasp that concept and to want to strive for easily readable coding, but it makes a lot of sense:
>
> People can work off your programming and give you feedback-make it as simple as possible and generic-people work very differently than you might.
>
> It might be used by programmers in the future- If it is overly complicated then it might not be, however functional it is.
>
> The patch I include is of a synth I made a long time ago (obsolete because of poly~) with a very clean, neat GUI. Take a look at that for reference.
—————————————————-

May 9, 2008 | 7:37 pm

Works in OSX for me. But yes, very very messy lol

May 11, 2008 | 1:17 am

A little more organized, but I’m still cleaning it up and fixing some problems here and there.

I’ll start making a presentation interface once the patch stuff is clean enough for me to remember what’s what even a year from now.

BTW, if you don’t have tap tools, there’ll be a reverb missing.

May 11, 2008 | 1:19 am

Anyone else getting a hideously loud burst of noise in whenever the DAC is turned on? I can’t figure if it’s my patch or my interface.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)