[sharing is fun] Max5patch I think it came out kinda cool.

May 9, 2008 at 10:27am

[sharing is fun] Max5patch I think it came out kinda cool.

Started off as me picking through some posted samples on the list. It came out kind of interesting, resets itself ever 16 bars.

Finally, after 6 months of climbing the Max hill, and a few ah-ha! moments, I think I came up with something cool with no samples. :)

Feedback appreciated.

May 9, 2008 at 11:47am

Cool, but dare i say it, but-ugly ;-)
I think one of Peter Elsea’s tutorials covers making
patches more readable/presentable to others – perhaps
that’s the next Max hillock you should get your
climbing boots on for ?
cheers
Roger

— Don K wrote:

> Started off as me picking through some posted
> samples on the list. It came out kind of
> interesting, resets itself ever 16 bars.
>
> Finally, after 6 months of climbing the Max hill,
> and a few ah-ha! moments, I think I came up with
> something cool with no samples. :)
>
> Feedback appreciated.
>
> –
> -DonK
>

May 9, 2008 at 1:06pm

Yes, that is one hideous Max patch.
Along with being functional and interesting, programming (since a little after it’s conception) should be easily read (and understood)by others. It took me a while to really grasp that concept and to want to strive for easily readable coding, but it makes a lot of sense:

People can work off your programming and give you feedback-make it as simple as possible and generic-people work very differently than you might.

It might be used by programmers in the future- If it is overly complicated then it might not be, however functional it is.

The patch I include is of a synth I made a long time ago (obsolete because of poly~) with a very clean, neat GUI. Take a look at that for reference.

May 9, 2008 at 1:08pm

OOPS. Here’s the file.

May 9, 2008 at 6:31pm

wow!

this patch is begging for presentation mode.

and subpatchers.

and more than one [[loadbang]]

it sounds really nice though!

May 9, 2008 at 6:43pm

I think I might actually clean this one up and make it more uasable.
It’s a HUGE mess and a great example of how not to patch. :)
I took little bits here and there from the posts here. Believe it or not, it was originally going to be a robotic fart noise maker/drum machine, but I went nuts with oscillators and a spider on LSD style of patching. It’s just a sketch…I’m not normally so messy. I’ll clean it up and repost.

I also noticed that I have a tap object here or there, so you may not be hearing the reverb.

May 9, 2008 at 6:50pm

I couldn’t open the file on OSX.
I understand about other users…I know I’ve learned from picking apart patches and love when the programmer is organized. This was more like a flow of thought experimentation sketch. I think of it as a one trick pony, but I will clean it up for anyone learning Max to see what’s going on under the hood.

Quote: Eli wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 06:06
—————————————————-
> Yes, that is one hideous Max patch.
> Along with being functional and interesting, programming (since a little after it’s conception) should be easily read (and understood)by others. It took me a while to really grasp that concept and to want to strive for easily readable coding, but it makes a lot of sense:
>
> People can work off your programming and give you feedback-make it as simple as possible and generic-people work very differently than you might.
>
> It might be used by programmers in the future- If it is overly complicated then it might not be, however functional it is.
>
> The patch I include is of a synth I made a long time ago (obsolete because of poly~) with a very clean, neat GUI. Take a look at that for reference.
—————————————————-

May 9, 2008 at 7:37pm

Works in OSX for me. But yes, very very messy lol

May 11, 2008 at 1:17am

A little more organized, but I’m still cleaning it up and fixing some problems here and there.

I’ll start making a presentation interface once the patch stuff is clean enough for me to remember what’s what even a year from now.

BTW, if you don’t have tap tools, there’ll be a reverb missing.

May 11, 2008 at 1:19am

Anyone else getting a hideously loud burst of noise in whenever the DAC is turned on? I can’t figure if it’s my patch or my interface.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.