Forums > MaxMSP

[Sharing may be reciprocal] Grain Synth

August 4, 2010 | 2:48 pm

semi-didactic, semi-simple polyphonic Grain Synth, which responds well depending on what you feed it; user-controls are simply: playhead position, grain size (c.20-200ms) and grain pitch; does a fairly convincing ‘spectral’ freeze a la J.F.Charles, to my ears anyway (though not in realtime…yet).

Save the poly subpatch first and name it: subPolyGran

then save the main patch in the same place

test-drive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHQhUN2iQg

here’s the two patches:

subPolyGran

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

main

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Enjoy

rm
August 9, 2010 | 7:41 pm

Hello, I checked your video and also copied these patches, however I do not get any sound (although the subpatch looks fine, too).
Not sure, what I am doing wrong. Max window: number of cps: 12

August 9, 2010 | 9:54 pm

post a screenshot of the main patch so I can check everthing’s hooked up ok

Jan
March 5, 2011 | 1:12 am

I Just made some fast tryouts with your patch using voice samples – simple and great! Thanks a lot for sharing!!!!

March 5, 2011 | 12:07 pm

Thanks for trying it out; here is the new improved version, with much smoother grains, nicer GUI, and a few other fundamental improvements

Attachments:
  1. shareGrain.zip

Jan
March 5, 2011 | 2:25 pm

Just downloaded it – will try it out tonight.

thx jan

Jan
March 5, 2011 | 11:51 pm

Just was listening to it. Indeed has a lot of improvements. Especially when it comes to working with human voices i really like the rough sound of the first version as well.

March 7, 2011 | 1:58 pm

many thanks for this wonderful patch… beautiful inside/outside!
being a new user of max/msp it really helps..

One question (generic) about granulators: instead of panning to produce a pseudo stereo field, wouldn’t you rather want to have granulation per channel in case your input isn’t mono?

warm regards & thanks once again!

March 7, 2011 | 7:55 pm

Thanks for the nice comments; i guess the only limitation to a stereo granulator would be CPU constraints on the number of voices per channel, and perhaps also working out how to get the grain windows to sync.

Be sure to check out the bundled MaxMSP granulator and also search this forum for ‘granulator sharing’, you’ll find some cracking examples and many different or alternative approaches

Brendan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)