Forums > MaxMSP

[shell] tweak for PC

February 1, 2014 | 3:17 pm

Hello users,

I would like to share one thing I found.
I was wandering how to execute other programs from within Max, in order to play with speech synthesis and other things. On PCs, we don’t have either [shell] nor [maxmbrola~].
I already found the ‘editwith’ message for [text] very practical. I understood that ‘editwith’ does something like sending a shell command to open a textfile with a text editor. Then I replaced the editor name by other programs names; I could open these programs.
Then, instead of a program file, I put a command file. I could execute the command file.
Then I realised that, with Max, you can create whatever command file you want by playing with the [text] object. Then, you use the [text] object with an ‘editwith’ message to execute the command file itself.
For example in my case, create a text file containing the text to be speeched; create a command file to launch the text-to-speech program with desired options; execute the command file with ‘editwith’; hear the result.
Has anybody played with that already? any experience to share?
thanks for reading.

February 1, 2014 | 4:16 pm

… you can even use ‘editwith’ with a shortcut file, letting you execute a command file without opening the shell window, by selecting the "run minimized" shortcut property.

August 30, 2014 | 6:29 am

I seem to be too thick to use this.
Could someone possiblt help me out?
editwith "notepad.exe" doesn’t even work for me.
If I try to put the absolute path in the message box automatically deletes the \ characters.

`

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 30, 2014 | 7:00 am

did you try to put the notepad.exe file in your patch’s directory? that’s how I do. You can even put notepad2.exe or equivalent, to have better editing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks by  Denis.

September 4, 2014 | 2:50 pm

Yes I have tried that now! It doesn’t work for me.

September 5, 2014 | 12:03 am

I tested again and I think you must edit an existing text file on your hard disk, not just edit the text object’s content.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)