sigmund~ for windows

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:34pm

sigmund~ for windows

Hey!

sigmund~ is a great external. The problem is that it’s only for Mac, or for PD. I’m using Max/MSP in Windows.
Is there anybody here who has the time, will and skills to compile a windows version of it? I guess that a lot of people really want this!

#52423
Sep 22, 2010 at 7:48am

let me give in another vote for this!

also, i don’t want to be too greedy but…
it would be great to see [sc3~] and [ppiano~] for windows as well.
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad/sc3~/

http://www.zippernoise.net/data/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=59

#188507
Sep 23, 2010 at 8:23pm

+1000!
would be really great to have those osx only stuff on windows as well.
does those externals contain any osX specific code?
if not could be not so difficult to compile sources for windows

any comment from the developers?

#188508
Oct 5, 2010 at 12:29pm

are the sources of sigmund~ available anywhere?

#188509
Oct 5, 2010 at 2:38pm

You don’t know how many times I have checked the website for
a windows version, each time disappointed.

If anyone knows who owns the source code, please tell them
that I will pay THEM money to port it to windows, and do it
for them!

#188510
Oct 16, 2010 at 5:31pm

sigmund~ source code is available in the pd source package on miller puckette’s site !
I had a quick look at it and there’s max/msp glue in it.
So it shouldn’t be a problem to compile it on windows.

#188511
Nov 19, 2010 at 6:29pm

Hey, I’m trying to build this on Windows in Visual Studio 2008, but – to be perfectly honest – I’ve no idea what I’m doing.
So what I’ve done is download the Max SDK then opened the ‘simplemsp~’ example and literally copied and pasted the sigmund~ source code over the simplemsp code, then renamed all the files to ‘sigmund~’.

Here’s what happened when I tried to compile it:
First of all it came up with an error saying ‘fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘alloca.h’: No such file or directory’ so I commented out the part that included it.
After doing that it seems to be compiling for a while (albeit with loads of warnings) but then stops with an error message saying ‘LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘.sigmund~.def”

Anyone know what’s going on? Any help would be awesome, because I really, really want this external.

Cheers,

Rob

#188512
Nov 21, 2010 at 7:52pm

I’m not a C dev, but really hope someone help you and that this window version is going to come out, because sigmund~ is simply one of the greatest objects in max. (I’m on mac, but the day i’ll need more power, The avaibility of sigmund~ on PC would be an argument for me to consider buying a PC.)

#188513
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:32am

Hello Brico,

i don’t know Visual Studio 2008 as i use Xcode 2.5 on Mac …

“So what I’ve done is download the Max SDK then opened the ‘simplemsp~’ example and literally copied and pasted the sigmund~ source code over the simplemsp code, then renamed all the files to ‘sigmund~’.”

That doesn’t work with Xcode ; you have to create a new project for each External with the External’s name ; product name is project name … maybe there is tips and tricks or templates to avoid that, but anyway that’s not as simple as you tried to do (and very irritating for noobs as i was/am) …

Have you tried “malloc.h” instead of “alloca.h” ?

I don’t have any idea about “Sigmund~.def” file as it’s a windows (DLL export) problem, you should have a look there ? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d91k01sh(v=VS.90).aspx

HTH

#188514
Nov 23, 2010 at 5:54pm

Cheers, I’ll have to try those things out. I’ll let you know whether it works or not!

Rob

#188515
Nov 24, 2010 at 7:56am

Hi.

I just had to convert for Windows some of my externals (with Visual Studio Express 2010) – here are the steps I followed:

- copied an example project (say, simplemax), opened it in VS, did the automatic conversion, closed the project.

- added myext.c to the appropriate folder, and threw away everything but it the .sln, .vcxproj, .def, .filters and .user files, and renamed them with the name of my external (e.g., “myext.vcxproj” etc).

- opened them in a text editor (I recommend Editpad Lite) and replaced all the occurrences of “simplemax” with “myext”. Now you can re-open your solution in visual studio and everything should be at the right place.

Unfortunately, Microsoft C adopts a quite strict c89 standard, which means that some things that work fine in gcc/xcode may not work in vc – nothing that can’t be easily fixed, but if the code is long it can become quite boring. You can overcome the problem by setting the language to C++ in the project preferences, but this may cause other issues, so eventually I didn’t.

hth

aa

#188516
Nov 28, 2010 at 2:10pm

DONE IT!!! Woot woot! I just needed to make a .def file and include the FFT routine from PD. Here it is:
http://www.vaetxh.com/content/software/sigmund.05~%20windows.zip

Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,

Rob

#188517

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.