Forums > MaxMSP

signal to int question

April 14, 2008 | 6:19 am

Hi, I’m new to max/msp as I am learning it through an electronic music class for the first time this semester. So I might not ask the question correctly, but bear with me.

I am trying to design some patches that use a guitar as an audio signal with msp, but that also has a tape head on the second channel controlling some parameter of my patches. My guess was that I needed to get the audio signal converted into an integer so that it could be designed into patches that already rely on numbers to adjust things like frequency or duration in milliseconds, etc.

How can the conversion of an audio signal represented as a number be accomplished?

many thanks,
paul

April 14, 2008 | 6:48 am

[snapshot~] and [number~] are your friends

Quote: pwinters@gmail.com wrote on Mon, 14 April 2008 08:19
—————————————————-
> Hi, I’m new to max/msp as I am learning it through an electronic music class for the first time this semester. So I might not ask the question correctly, but bear with me.
>
> I am trying to design some patches that use a guitar as an audio signal with msp, but that also has a tape head on the second channel controlling some parameter of my patches. My guess was that I needed to get the audio signal converted into an integer so that it could be designed into patches that already rely on numbers to adjust things like frequency or duration in milliseconds, etc.
>
> How can the conversion of an audio signal represented as a number be accomplished?
>
> many thanks,
> paul
—————————————————-

April 14, 2008 | 5:41 pm

Hi Paul,
You might also be interested in the following article:

http://www.cycling74.com/?op=displaystory;sid=2008/3/12/142316/512

This may help to at least get you started.

Best,
Andrew B.

April 14, 2008 | 10:25 pm

depending on what your up to fiddle~ and bonk~ by miller puckett (check
maxobjects.com)
might also be your friends

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Benson
wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> You might also be interested in the following article:
>
> http://www.cycling74.com/?op=displaystory;sid=2008/3/12/142316/512
>
> This may help to at least get you started.
>
> Best,
> Andrew B.
>
>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)