Forums > MaxMSP

Simple Midi in -> Midi out

May 15, 2006 | 5:18 am

Hey All,
I’ve been checking out the demo version of MAX/MSP 4.5. It seems really awesome after poking around with some of the example pat files and looking thru the docs, but before I make the plunge, I have a couple questions…

I’d like to see how easy it is to take a midi signal from a midi keyboard (note + amplitude) and output it out thru another midi port. Then to be able to specify a note offset (whole step intervals or whatever) in MAX/MSP. So you play a C3 on the keyboard and then it’s outputted as D3 for instance.

Also, I’m wondering how much latency there would be using the MAX/MSP runtime and a basic pat file like the one listed above. This would be running on a Pentium-D 3gig, 2 gigs dual-channel ram and a USB MOTU micro lite midi device on WinXp without a lot of crap running in the background. Basically I just want to know if it would be fast enough to play without a ton of lag.

Thanks a lot for any input!
Midikin

May 15, 2006 | 6:19 am

Quote: Midikin wrote on Mon, 15 May 2006 07:18
—————————————————-
> I’d like to see how easy it is to take a midi signal from a midi keyboard (note + amplitude) and output it out thru another midi port. Then to be able to specify a note offset (whole step intervals or whatever) in MAX/MSP. So you play a C3 on the keyboard and then it’s outputted as D3 for instance.

This is extremely easy to do. [notein], offset the input notes by +2 with a simple [+ 2] ->[noteout]

> … Basically I just want to know if it would be fast enough to play without a ton of lag.

yes indeed.

May 15, 2006 | 10:00 am

you won’t pick up any noticeable latency using Max (only latency so low that it is more theoretical than real); it is the soundcard which will make the difference. Your soundcard will work fine.

May 15, 2006 | 8:39 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info. I’m finding it more difficult to resist purchasing now.. :) I have a feeling that at the end of my demo period I’ll be a proud MAX/MSP owner. I really haven’t found any other package that compares.

Thanks for your time,
Midikin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)