Forums > MaxMSP

Simple question about managing [rslider]…

January 4, 2013 | 8:56 am

I have this problem a lot with interface objects (slider, dial, etc.): Their min, range, and mult attributes affect *output* when changed with the mouse, but not when feeding it *input* with a number box. So inputting a number produces a totally different number at the output, which makes it hard to set the slider that make sense in context. I don’t quite get why it’s that way (affects output only) in the first place– but is the most efficient way just to ignore that functionality in the objects and use + – * / all the time? Obviously, there are different ways to do this, but I’m wondering what the general approach to managing this kind of thing is, when there are a bunch of these in a patch. It appears my lack of ability of foresee wrinkles like this end-up sending me down rabbit holes…

Hope that makes some sense,
Brian

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 4, 2013 | 8:22 pm

Wouldn’t the min and size messages to rslider work? If not, I don’t understand the problem.

January 5, 2013 | 2:09 am

Hope this helps… not sure if this is what you were asking.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

January 5, 2013 | 2:34 am

That’s what I’m doing. It seems like it doesn’t like negative numbers, maybe that’s the problem? If you feed a number in the L inlet and watch the output, they track together until a negative number is set for the object minimum, then they’re offset from each other. Is this what’s expected? I’m getting confused here…

January 6, 2013 | 12:31 am

Yes, thanks! I was thinking (hoping) it wouldn’t be necessary, and I didn’t see anything in the docs about a ‘native’ range for [rslider]. I guess, to my logic, when the range of the object changes in the inspector, it should respond to number boxes accordingly. If I’m missing some basic piece of logic, please enlighten…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)