Forums > Max For Live

Simple question for M4L N00b!

April 27, 2012 | 5:42 am

Im trying to get my patch to highlight a clip slot in my project.
I have a message ‘goto live-set view’ patched to a live.path object. It’s middle outlet sending to the right inlet of a live.object.
Then another message ‘set highlighted_clip_slot 1′ patched to the live.object’s left inlet.

I know this is probably completely wrong, I have looked in the reference and the fact that it says you can set this value, aswell as it being a parent confuses me.

April 27, 2012 | 10:12 am

Note that ‘highlighted_clip_slot’ is a children of song view, ie. an object to be referenced by ID number.

So your set message requires an ID as parameter, something like ‘set highlighted_clip_slot id 118′.
The ID of clip slots can be obtained by sending ‘path live_set tracks X clip_slots Y’ to a live.path object.

April 27, 2012 | 9:30 pm

I have set my patch up like you said however the 'set highlighted_clip_slot' id 118 returns as invalid syntax in the Max window.
I attached a picture of my patch so you can see how i set it up.
Thankyou!

[attachment=192346,3785]

Attachments:
  1. Picture2.png

April 27, 2012 | 11:27 pm

It seems my explanation wasn’t quite clear. Here is a patch to show the set up.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

April 28, 2012 | 3:36 am

With everything thing I want to do with the API. Is it true i need to first find the id of the item i want to effect eg. which track, parameter, device, clip, clip. AnD then apply it to a live object with the corresponding parent path?
In this case the parent of clip-slots is view?
Thanks for the time.
Also how can I save this chunk of programming as an abstraction so I recall it later?

April 28, 2012 | 8:43 am

Usually you don’t need to find the id first, but highlighted_clip_slot is a special case (view as parent).
Ordinary clip slots have track and/or scene as parent, and thus can be accessed directly with the path.

To make an abstraction save the patch with some meaningful name and put it into your Max folder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)